Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new questions when using a sled

Default new questions when using a sled

attached is a pic of my last project. It has a 1/2 bottom on my sled and 3/4 board to be carved.
    After I load in the carving bit and it taps the top of the wood, it travels to the glide plate side and attemps to find the guide plate. it tries 3 times.
    It comes back and ask if my glide plate is set, 1 for yes and 2 for no.
    I enter a 1, then it ask what is the thickness of the board. I entered .75 for 3/4" for the board thickness, why it asking this, I'm not cutting out anything?
    What should I enter? , the thickness of the sled and board. When I entered the .75 for the board, it shaved off some of the top my pattern in the region.
    I have been using the seld method for quite some time and have not come across these questions before.
    any ideas.

Perry
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

This happens to me but only on my CT unit when I use a sled, my carving are always thick .805" out so i set it to. .80"

I started getting asked for the thickness as well when using a sled and a 3/4" board. I just switched from a Rock to a CarveTight. How does the machine know if we are using a CarveTight?

I think it undestands the CT bit mesurment when you use a CT bit based on the z mesurments I not had time to ask LHR so its a wild guess on my part. I been using the CT and I like using the CT carving bits make everthing a little faster during the setup.

I too have had this happen, but it did not affect the carving. I had just upgraded the software to version 1.179.

I didn't know it asked those questions either. But I asked and it does for quit a while now. Not just the CT either.

You should enter the total thickness (board & sled). It also should not be asking, if you are not doing a pierced carving or cutout.

I am referring this to a software engineer that has looked into this for another customer. He may have the answer, but he won't be back in until tomorrow.

Sorry my grammar is so bad...in a hurry.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    ...You should enter the total thickness (board & sled). It also should not be asking, if you are not doing a pierced carving or cutout...
    Is that right? Isn't the machine suppose to ask for a choice between PROJECT and BOARD when using a sled or jig that causes the machine to measure thicker than the design layout? Then you would select PROJECT so the machine knows to use the project thickness to index from. If that has changed, I was not aware of it.

I guess it does makes sense to enter the total thickness IF there are no cutouts or pierced carves. But, I somehow thought the machine always gave a choice between PROJECT and BOARD when measured thickness exceeds project thickness by a certain margin.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 09-28-2011 at 04:34 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Is that right? Isn't the machine suppose to ask for a choice between PROJECT and BOARD when using a sled or jig that causes the machine to measure thicker than the design layout? Then you would select PROJECT so the machine knows to use the project thickness to index from. If that has changed, I was not aware of it.
    Well...now...I don't know. Sometimes, I go run ask and then just spew what I hear. I will try to get better clarification.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Not just the CT either.
    For me it's only on the CT never on the rock, It looks for the guide plate and if it can't find it the firmware responds with a question, I type the thickness of the board not the sled total. This is my first CT so I thought it was normal. BTW all of the mpc's are peirced that I recived the question.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 09-28-2011 at 04:55 PM.

I only put in how thick my board is & not the sled that I use. I have the CT chuck. The machine works that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast