Thread: Aquarium-safe Paints

Default Aquarium-safe Paints

Hello,

I have three fairly large aquarium decor items for my 125 gal. freshwater tank (two items look like tangled tree roots - another that looks like a pile of layered rocks with flat "mushrooms" growing out of the cracks). They appear to be made out of a semi-heavy "plastic-like" material and came finished in rather a ghostly white color, that I do not like at all.

I want to apply browns, greys, drab greens, etc. to make them look a little more natural and realistic and get rid of the "spooky coloration". Does anyone (Terry?) have any recomendations for "aquarium-safe" paints for something like this?...or perhaps simply a clear coat of some type that could be applied over "whatever paints I use" to seal the undercoat and yield an aquarium-safe result?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Any 100% acrylic paint is fine. Ive also been told Krylon Fusion is fine as well. I'm in the aquarium biz and have used everything from epoxy to plasti-dip with no problems at all.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by glassocean View Post
    Any 100% acrylic paint is fine. Ive also been told Krylon Fusion is fine as well. I'm in the aquarium biz and have used everything from epoxy to plasti-dip with no problems at all.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

I really like the Fusion paints - adheres to anything - plastic or metal. I've used them a lot for restoring outdoor furniture items, particularly.

As far as acrylic paints, do I not need an additional overcoat (i.e., clearcoat) after painting? In your experience, acrylics don't "breakdown" when being underwater (fresh water in this case) for extended periods of time - is that what you have observed? If so, that is very good news - I can easily create blended colors using acrylics, which is what I have in mind.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

4. Default

Hi Michael,
    Sorry it took so long to reply. Unfortunately we don't do much with aquariums. It sounds like Jeff has some good experience though. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02126.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	520.8 KB 
ID:	47212
    Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hi Jeff,

I really like the Fusion paints - adheres to anything - plastic or metal. I've used them a lot for restoring outdoor furniture items, particularly.

As far as acrylic paints, do I not need an additional overcoat (i.e., clearcoat) after painting? In your experience, acrylics don't "breakdown" when being underwater (fresh water in this case) for extended periods of time - is that what you have observed? If so, that is very good news - I can easily create blended colors using acrylics, which is what I have in mind.
    I think you will find that with a clear coat or not, there will be some fading over time. From being under water to being exposed to the lighting above, pretty much everything will fade somewhat over time. We service aquariums that are as large as 18,000 gallons that have top of the line decorations, these too fade, and they are molded with color from the factory.

Jeff
    Last edited by glassocean; 09-10-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glassocean View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02126.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	520.8 KB 
ID:	47212

I think you will find that with a clear coat or not, there will be some fading over time. From being under water to being exposed to the lighting above, pretty much everything will fade somewhat over time. We service aquariums that are as large as 18,000 gallons that have top of the line decorations, these too fade, and they are molded with color from the factory.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

Thank you. Yes, fading is to be expected over time - I just don't want any paint "flaking off" en masse - the fish might eat it <grin>.

Wow! 18,000 gallons - you need to have your own TV show like "Tanked"!

Thanks again for your advice. I'm gonna start painting!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    Hi Michael,
    Sorry it took so long to reply. Unfortunately we don't do much with aquariums. It sounds like Jeff has some good experience though. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.
    Thanks, Terry. If I ever put in a pond here in GA, I may solicit your advice on that! I had a small pond in a screened-in and covered breezway when we lived in Florida. Stocked with some common fantail goldfish and two turtles - a red ear and a green ear - the turtles would get a goldfish dinner every now and then!

We've got racoons in abundance here, and I don't have an enclosed space for a pond anymore - it would be totally in the open - makes me hesitate to install one.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!