Thread: Z axis problem

llewis Guest

Unhappy Z axis problem

After the CW machine carves for about 5 to 15 minutes, at a controled depth of .250 to "fram" the project.. it starts carving deeper, until it has penetrated the .75" wood peice that's in it. Sometimes the Z truck will just slam the bit all the way thru the wood after making just a few passes. Any Idea's on what's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by llewis View Post
    After the CW machine carves for about 5 to 15 minutes, at a controled depth of .250 to "fram" the project.. it starts carving deeper, until it has penetrated the .75" wood peice that's in it. Sometimes the Z truck will just slam the bit all the way thru the wood after making just a few passes. Any Idea's on what's going on?
    Please attach your MPC so we can see the project.
    Tell us about your machine.
    How long have you had this unit?
    Is it new or used?
    What chuck does it have?
    Where (from whom) was it purchased?
    What bit is being used at the time of your failure?
    What kind of wood or Corian are you carving?

Perhaps these answers will help us determine a solution.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

llewis Guest

Default Z Axis Problem

Bit used was the 1/16 carving bit. Chuck type was QD. Machine is a "re-furbished" machine by carvewright, less than a year old. (My other machine was still under warrenty, and damaged beyond repair in shipping; this machine was my replacement). Machine has been operated 4 days without any errors at all, and vacuumed after each project was finished. Attached is the Carving that was being worked when the Z Truck literally drove the bit thru the 3/4" Pine that was being carved. I'm running the current version of project designer, 1.179.
    Attached Files Attached Files

llewis Guest

Default Z Axis Problem

I think I've nailed down the problem. I rechecked the Sensor (Z track) and each reading I recorded for up and down was different, each time.. by 2 to 22 differance. Now, where's this sensor? Is it part of the Z track Motor?

Lewis, Second Post and Joined in 2007... WELCOME.....

SO this comes down to the Z....

The FFC Flat Cable could be loose.... Or more likely BAD... As is a broken wire inside the cable and it touches then does not touch.... Causing the head to do strange things....

The Encoder in the back of the Z could have Dust in it or the plastic wheel is spinning on the shaft.

You will need to know what version of FFC Cable you have, the old 18 pin and the newer 14 pin. LHR WILL ASK.... when you order the part.

I could just be a bad cable....

When you order the cable consider ordering additional stuff to save on Shipping and have stuff for future weekend repairs.

3 sets of Cut Motor Brushes, and 1 set of X Gears and 3 FFC Cables. A board Sensor and the Board Sensor Cable to aid in troubleshooting later. The QC is a big source of Vibration and WILL result in future failures like the L2 Coil on the Power Supply and the C1 Cap on the X Termination Board. Of my 4 machines using the QC, I had 3 C1 Caps go bad and 2 L2 Coils. With my ROCK Chuck Zero Vibration Problems....

As you can see by the picture, the encoder just sends pulses... Place the head all the way up at the mechanical stop. Select the Z Data in the LCD. It should read Zero. 0000 Move the head up and down while moving the FFC Cable.... Return it to the top... Should be 0000 if good... Something else if bad... As is loosing pulses. Good Luck.

And plugging a 14 pin FFC Cable into a 18 pin system will result in a shorted computer... $300.00 PLUS REPAIR.... SO KNOW what you have before you order. There is a Kit with 2 circuit boards and a new 14 pin cable to replace the old 18 pin system. And after you make the change the machine will start up in "Scan Area" so look for the directions to change the Probe data from Truck to cover.

And be sure to read Tips and Tricks on the CarveWright Site.

Good Luck,

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06680_WEB.jpg   DSC06680a_WEB.jpg   DSC06551a_WEB.jpg   DSC01476_WEB.jpg  

DSC06550_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 09-06-2011 at 12:56 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

6. Default Z axis errors

Quote Originally Posted by llewis View Post
    Try taking the back cover off the Z motor and gently blowing out the dust and taking a small soft bristle brush and gently clean the emitter wheel. Be very careful not to damage the emitter or pick up. I have had the problem you describe a couple of times and this took care of it for me..