Thread: Cutting through. (Can't find it!)

Default Cutting through. (Can't find it!)

Hey all,

There is simply too much good information here! So much so, as I cannot find out what I did wrong. I'm attaching my template, which is essentially a shape that I intend to carve through the entire depth of the stock. As you will see, there's no 'cut path' for the shape, as I've done those easy enough... I thought I had it down, as I set my stock depth to be 3/4", and the stock itself IS 3/4".

Unfortunately, there's still a lot of stock down there in between the bottom of the carve and the back side. I was under the impression there was a way to make tabs - possibly manually? - but I cannot find the answer for the life of me.

Thanks, in advance!

Rick
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

I've done the samething, but I start with the vector Line tool then the arc tool,
    and can get the cut path with auto tabs.

Note your bit cut in the center of the line, mine cuts on either side of the line
    unless I use the offset option.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vector Line Tool First 1a.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Quote Originally Posted by Kenm810 View Post
    I've done the samething, but I start with the vector Line tool then the arc tool, and can get the cut path with auto tabs.
    I can't find a "Vector Line" tool. I can only find the "Line Segment" tool and the "Connected Lines" tool. Knowing that I used the "Line Segment" tool originally, is it the "Connected Lines" tool I want?
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

FINALLY. Ok, so I get what you're saying. I used the "Connected Lines" tool, and created a rectangular box. On the ends where I wanted them to become arcs, I used the "Change to Arc" tool, which allowed me to 'bump out' the ends to where I wanted them. Voila. Interestingly enough, if you 'click - click - click - click' to make a box, you WON'T get the "Cut Path" button to activate. If you click and drag to create your points, it will. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but it's damn irritating.

Thanks!

The connected lines tool wasn't really the problem. If you look at "non-end points" you will see that there is a point in your object where the two ends meet but don't join. Once that is fixed you can select the "cut out" tool along with the number of tabs, etc.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Quote Originally Posted by jaroot View Post
    The connected lines tool wasn't really the problem. If you look at "non-end points" you will see that there is a point in your object where the two ends meet but don't join. Once that is fixed you can select the "cut out" tool along with the number of tabs, etc.
    Which ALSO doesn't make sense. If I use the "Line Segment" tool, and make sure to keep the lines I've drawn 'active' and connect them to draw a square, triangle, or other object, I DO get the "cut path" tool. If I do the same, but instead of using lines, I use arcs, it does not. This doesn't make any sense, considering the lines are still active, and when I select the endpoints, they do "activate" (i.e. they show that little red 'x' graphic around it) as I select them as endpoints. I would think the "cut path" icon should be available immediately thereafter.

Thankfully, I did figure a workaround, as above. Keeping everything as lines, and not connected lines and arcs, works. You just have to go through some hoops to fix them.

Default Connecting 2 arcs

Quote Originally Posted by DurhamDev View Post
    Which ALSO doesn't make sense. If I use the "Line Segment" tool, and make sure to keep the lines I've drawn 'active' and connect them to draw a square, triangle, or other object, I DO get the "cut path" tool. If I do the same, but instead of using lines, I use arcs, it does not. This doesn't make any sense, considering the lines are still active, and when I select the endpoints, they do "activate" (i.e. they show that little red 'x' graphic around it) as I select them as endpoints. I would think the "cut path" icon should be available immediately thereafter.

Thankfully, I did figure a workaround, as above. Keeping everything as lines, and not connected lines and arcs, works. You just have to go through some hoops to fix them.
    Arcs can be connected.
    The problem may be how we approach the design. I just ran a test.
    When you draw your first arc it starts as a line. Apply the arc you wish prior to connecting the next one, and you instantly see that the Icons for closed figures activate (carve region, outline, cut-out, etc). Try it with just two arc line and develop your skills.

If you still have problems, send me a private message and we can exchange phone numbers.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Sorry I just got home, and saw your new post --
    I've some how gotten in to my mind that it was a Vector line tool, but "Line Segment Tool" is the proper name.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Test 1a.jpg  
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails