Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 more question

Default 1 more question

Here I am again with another question I can't figure out. (I have an idea but am afraid to try). How do you take a purchasted ptn and carve it larger? I'd like to make one about 2 feet bt 3 feet. Is this even possible?
    Don

It is certainly possible, but most likely you will be flattening out the features scaling a pattern to that size. You are still limited to the .8 carving depth, so if the pattern at say 6"x6" is already set at a depth close to that .8, when you scale it to several feet, it will look "flatter". Take a look at this article for tips on layout and carving of large signs.

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads...icks_Jul09.pdf
    Doug Fletcher

Another option is to make the Sign Base Structure from a Solid Surface like Quality Plywood and make the elements like the pattern attachments including the text.

Tips and Trick is the Place to find innovative ideas for going Bigger.... Plus all the Pilot Errors....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Well, I have the project divided in 2, my question is with the pattern cutting all the way to the edge will this hurt the machine?
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by woodchip View Post
    Well, I have the project divided in 2, my question is with the pattern cutting all the way to the edge will this hurt the machine?
    Don
    It is always best to make sure the board you load in to the machine is at least 7" longer than your project board (to allow for 3.5" on each end) and at least 1" wider (.5" on the sides) than your project board. You can always trim this off after carving.
    Doug Fletcher

even with the pattern going over the edge, if I use a board .5" wider, the machine will allow for that and not cut past it?

Quote Originally Posted by woodchip View Post
    even with the pattern going over the edge, if I use a board .5" wider, the machine will allow for that and not cut past it?
    Im not near my pc with designer on it right now or I would post an example. But I'm sure someone else will before I get home. If you make sure the point where you are going to join you boards has that "safety margin" of wood all the way around, you can simply place 0 depth carve regions on the sides and ends to insure the machine doesn't carve you pattern to the edge of the board.
    Doug Fletcher

Thanks Doug, I need to go to work now and won't be able to try until Sat.
    Don

WELLLLLL, I'm still here and was reading Mike T's big sign and it said the machine leaves a 1/16" edge where the pattern overhangs the edge. Is this only if the board remaim under the pressure rollers,(which I try to always do)and should I count on that everytime?
    Don
    I'll bet your wondering when my 1 more question is up!

As I was thinking about this more..... it really depends on how your set your project board up and what size piece you place in your machine. If you insert a larger piece of wood than you project board (in designer), you dont have to worry about any elements then may go off the edge of the board in designer. The machine will not attempt to carve anything that isn't on the board when viewed from designer.

However, if you create you board in designer to be the exact length and width of the physical board you are going to use in the machine, then you do need to place 0 depth carve regions if you dont want it carved to the edges (assuming you have patterns hanging off the board). I hope I just didn't confuse the issue for you. I think a few examples will go a long way in clearing this up. I will try to post pics as soon as I have a moment.
    Doug Fletcher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast