Thread: cutting question

1. Default cutting question

I saw a thread about cutting, and the post talked about "one pass cutting" or "step cutting." I have two machines, my old one (currently with a "Z" axis stall problem) would step cut. (that's what I want) my new machine makes one pass cuts and has broken two bits. How do I get my new machine to make step cuts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Max Depth.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	46953When you select the cut out or saw out object there is an option for the "MAX pass depth". Just select the depth that you wish each pass to be and it will step cut.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

This thread seamed like a good place to ask if anyone has tried cutting out corian shapes with the carver?
    Be the change you want to see in the world!
    Richard
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

My opion on useing the CW to cut anything out is "NO". A lot of the guys do it , but I just can't afford a $40.00 bill + shipping to cut something that I can cut with a scrollsaw with an excellant blade for under a dollar.
    Also corian is hard stuff,and I think the feed rate is too fast for it.
    just my 1 -1/2 cents with inflation.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Hi Daniel

I do the same with most things myself. The project I am working on has some intricateparts to cut out and will require time and patience. My main concern wasexactly what you mentioned, that being the feed rate to fast for the bits. I amjust now working on my first Litho which is also my first experience workingwith corian. I am seeing that it is certainly a messy material to carve but todate Litho's and the odd sign are the only projects with corian I have seenposted on the forum and was just wondering if any brave sole has tried cut outsin the middle of the carve with the carver.

Thanks for the reply.

Oh and A Thanks to Jason of the Little Red Woodshop for his great Tips andTricks article on Litho's. I followed your instructions and I am now impatientlywaiting for the carve to finish to see what the first attempt has created.
    Be the change you want to see in the world!
    Richard
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada