Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: About done with the CC!

Default About done with the CC!

Ok, so I have my new Compucarve, and this time I bought a brand new one. I assure you if this is not covered under warranty I am going to smash them into a million pieces. Anyways, does anyone have any idea what would cause the flex shaft outside cover to peal off? This is only my fourth or fifth carving, and i have kept the shaft lubricated more than directed, as I have already taken it out twice. The machine was working fine for two hours. I was called away for a few hours for an emergency, I came back to find this. Please help, I can not take this anymore. I am sure you guys recall my first machine, which had EVERY problem possible. So I followed everyones advice and went brand new. Picture is attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cc messed up again.jpg  

I'm sure you don't want to hear this.. but too much lube is just as bad as not enough. Did you happen to take any temperature measurements after you lubed it (during a carve)? It looks to me as it overheated and melted. But there are others on here with much more experience than myself in these areas.
    Doug Fletcher

I never actually took the temperature, but did check it by touching it. I even checked it before I had to leave. When I lubricated it I cleaned it and then lubed it as per recomendation, so it should not have been ober lubricated.

Doug nailed it-- the pic is small but it looks like you fried it with overheating. When you lubed the machine, did you let it drip dry before putting it back in/did you use the chain lube with moly?

Also, I've only lubed my machine twice in 2 years and dozens and dozens of hours of machining-it really shouldn't need to be messed with much. As I'm in Tucson, the temp is ALWAYS hot so I actually take an additional precaution and usually run a fan on the exterior blowing directly on the flex shaft to air cool it a bit, though I'm not sure this is even necessary as my flexshaft never gets overly warm (95-113 depending on location is pretty normal for my flexshaft in 90+ degree weather) I check my flexshaft temperature every 15 minutes or so during long carves (usually just with my hand to feel for hot spots).

I'm sorry about your emergency-keep in mind that if you ever need to leave your machine for a while, you can press the stop button to act as a pause and then carry on when you can attend it again- though I know this is small comfort now.

Man I hope things work out for you,
    Lawrence

we were all typing at the same time-- I'd say the point is well made twice

I used liquid wrench chain lube with Moly. I believe I saw it recomended somewhere on here. I let all the excess run off after it soaked, plus I cleaned well before applying new lubrication. I have made one carve since lubing it, and it ran for two hours with out getting before I left too. With as many problems I had with the other machine, I thought that making sure to keep everything super clean and smooth would be best. My wife was actually pretty upset that I bought another machine to begin with, she is gonna be fuming now! I don't know. And if it is not going to be covered........

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    we were all typing at the same time-- I'd say the point is well made twice
    Agreed! Ike always does get a little paranoid about posting similar info. Sometimes it is very helpful to have the same thing worded several different ways. I say leave the posts Ike!
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by ibewiggin View Post
    I used liquid wrench chain lube with Moly. I believe I saw it recomended somewhere on here. I let all the excess run off after it soaked, plus I cleaned well before applying new lubrication. I have made one carve since lubing it, and it ran for two hours with out getting before I left too. With as many problems I had with the other machine, I thought that making sure to keep everything super clean and smooth would be best. My wife was actually pretty upset that I bought another machine to begin with, she is gonna be fuming now! I don't know. And if it is not going to be covered........
    Did you purchase it from Sears? I think they warranty terms are (or at least used to be) a little different from LHR's. My first three machines I took back to Sears... with some of the issues quite possible being attributed to new pilot error. But Sears took them all back no questions asked in exchange for a new machine. It might be something to look in to. How long have you had the new CC?
    Doug Fletcher

Too late, that is why I do not post much anymore.... Anyway I sent a PM to you ibewiggin. Liquid wrench is too thin and if you have a Napa Auto they carry Moly lube in a tube. It is thick and I apply it let it soak and wipe and re-install. Cleaning the flex to me seems harmful since you clean out lube in the areas lube is well set. I have a parts machine and I cut a section of my flex housing and cut out the burnt section of my other machine flex and pieced in the housing and used black tape and wrapped well and have not had a problem since.

Other wise you will need to buy a new flex shaft, you might try to find something compatible say from an old dremel shaft etc. Here is a thought fuel hose is designed to withstand heat it may work as a patch if you don't want to buy a new flex? I know about an unhappy wife! Fortunately I pretty much figured out the machine and mostly make signs I have not had any issues with my two CW

Ike
    Last edited by Ike; 08-23-2011 at 11:46 PM.

10. Default

Nope, ordered it from LHR. Guess I will try and convice the wife to get me a flex shaft for Christmas now. Thanks for all the help again.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast