Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My list of modifications.

Default My list of modifications.

Paramount on the list would be providing a ground conductor.
    Static was discussed elsewhere on this forum and with computers and servo drives good bonding to ground is a must.

If the CW guys see this, please comment. I don’t want to put a bullet in my warranty.

Second would be an air curtain blowing the chips over the uncut portion to be sucked out by a dust collector.

Third would be a combination surge suppressor, current sensing outlet that will detect the increase amp draw of the CW motor and switch on separate outlets for the vacuum system and air curtain solenoid. If the CW motor is running the vacuum and air will start automatically.
    I do this stuff all the time.

Fourth would be a logging ammeter. My fluke DVM has this feature and increased amp draw would indicate bit wear, flex shaft binding and other potential problems.

I will be adding to the list later.
    Cry Havoc and Let the chips fly.
    Wood Butcher
    Cry Havoc and loose the chips of wood
    30+ years working with tools and still have all my fingers.

Default Additions

How about a CCTV camera under the hood or contacts for a E Stop if you are remote viewing. If you lift the hood will that stop the unit?

AL

All this is interresting stuff, and maybe useful and probably included on high $$ machines.
    "If you lift the hood will that stop the unit? "
    Yes.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Default E Stop

That looks like my in to a E stop.... A solenoid and spring linkage to remotely lift the lid if I see a problem from the House. I don't mean to obsess about a remote E stop but it has merit. AL

Default Air Curtain

How would you suggest an "air curtain" be set up?

Al,
    There are a few CCD cheap cameras at supercurcuits.com some are a 900meg wireless.
    Also you can check out leviton, the outlet and switch people. They have a power line control line of switches and outlets that you can operate via a signal transmitted over the power wires. The switch and receiving outlet must be wired on the same phase. Otherwise you must install a coupling capacitor across L1 and L2 in the main breaker panel to pass the signal. Expect a second delay for operation. There is your remote E-Stop without dragging around a lot of wire.

Pkunk,
    These mods are not as expensive as you would think. I could do all of them in less than a day for under $200.00.
    Less compressor and vacuum.

Lex,
    The air curtain is simple.
    Take a section of 3/16 brass tubing from the hobby shop. Solder on a few tangs for mounting. Use a dremel tool with a cutoff blade to make a few slots lengthwise in the brass tube tubing. Orient the slots to blow across the carving face out the back of the CW machine. Install a REGULATED air supply and adjust the pressure to clear the chips.
    A vacuum hood sucking up on the back will clear the chips.

More goodies to come.
    Wood Butcher

The system is actualy set up for a down draft type dust collector already. You just have to make a gasket to seal the bottom to a down draft setup. There are some pictures of some in the forum.

David,
    I thought about that.
    The primary source of the chips is on the top of the stock.
    The air would “fluidize”, if you will, the flying chips funneling them toward the rear of the machine on top of the work piece. Rather than pulling the chips through the bottom of the machine and risking buildup in the drive belts and other components, I want to clear them out the rear.
    I’ll let you know how it works.
    Wood Butcher

Default hmmmmmmm

What about setting up a vacum to the front of the machine if you modified the cover it could get rid of the chips right away. just a thought

I forget who, but one of the Beta purchasers did cut a hole in the cover and attached his shopvac to it, which he stated worked like a charm. Another made a vacuum box for the CW to sit on and attached his shopvac to it. I've never had an operational problem due to sawdust buildup during a work session, but I've sure had it get pretty dirty with sawdust and powder that I had to vacuum out afterward. One of these days, I'll get to making a vacuum box though I'm sure.

Bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast