Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who are all these guests?

Do you think it might be something most are not comfortable using? Do we need a tutorial on how to use the forum? Tips and tricks maybe for the "soft" side of the business? Forum, groups, blogs, registration and re-registration, activation,etc?
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

PS...any volunteers?!?!
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I personally don't see a benefit in forcing people to become members. Everyone is free to contribute as much or as little as they feel comfortable with. Some are sure paranoid with giving out any personal info... and that is fine.. some may just feel overwhelmed with the talent of many of the members. Many feel they probably cant offer anything. But as their confidence grows.. so does the urge to "showcase" what they have done... or when the discover a great tip they haven't seen mentioned before. Those are the things that will drive the guests to become members.

Lets continue to just let them join on their own terms. (one mans opinion)
    Doug Fletcher

My thoughts exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    I personally don't see a benefit in forcing people to become members. Everyone is free to contribute as much or as little as they feel comfortable with. Some are sure paranoid with giving out any personal info... and that is fine.. some may just feel overwhelmed with the talent of many of the members. Many feel they probably cant offer anything. But as their confidence grows.. so does the urge to "showcase" what they have done... or when the discover a great tip they haven't seen mentioned before. Those are the things that will drive the guests to become members.

Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Doug well said, I know in the beginning, I became a member but it took me awhile before I posted anything.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by jaroot View Post
    My thoughts exactly!
    Same here!

As I posted before, some that I have had contact with just struggle with just doing email and it really is a stretch for them to participate in the WWW.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

7. Default

Ditto Doug ... I stalked this forum for a lonnnnggggg time before I signed up ... thank you to everyone for your help along the way.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post

I think you hit the nail on the head Doug. After giving a few StartU classes and talking to a bunch of folks that are interested but still haven't taken a class I can say this..... There are a bunch of people out there that purchased a CW machine years ago and have never used it yet. In fact some haven't even unpacked it from the box. Some felt intimidated by the machine or just not ready to tackle it an put the machine on a shelf for the last 2 to 4 years. I'm sure there are a bunch that visit the forum as well but don't feel comfortable joining. They just want to check in and read a bit. Lets let them get more comfortable. They will join when they are ready.
    Last edited by TerryT; 08-23-2011 at 09:57 PM.

My thoughts on this are that I lurk on several forums that I do not post on often or at all (believe it or not...) for several reasons. I have no problems with lurkers, I think of them as potential posters! (or potential customers for my work or the Carvewright itself) I'd like to think that I contribute here, as do others, and I think everyone has their own comfort level of participation. If anyone learns or enjoys one of my posts, my ego certainly enjoys the electronic "pat on the back", but I'm fine if they don't too.

Maybe we should have a "post your first post here, welcome new members" sticky. I know some forums do this (the woodwhisperer forum is one for example) and it seems to encourage lurkers to have a place to introduce themselves and get welcomed. Sometimes it can be a bit intimidating to post that first post... I know it was for me as I did not feel like my work was worthy of posting at first, but you guys are great motivators.

Lawrence

all right, this is embarassing... I just found the "welcome new members" area....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast