Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are all these guests?

If true, I guess that answers the question "Who are these guests?" If they are mostly bots and spiders then these numbers mean little. I am not sure, however, that I buy that. If that were true, the number views that different posts get would be more uniformly distributed. Instead, when you look at the numbers, it looks like the numbers are driven by human interest. Do other forums have the same member to quest ratio as this forum?
    Last edited by bergerud; 08-23-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Lynnfrwd just answered some of my questions

I am actually a member of several other forums besides this one. One in particular has a low membership, but the threads have high views. I believe that it counts all times that the thread link is actually opened/viewed, not just by forum members, but by guests as well.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    If true, I guess that answers the question "Who are these guests?" If they are mostly bots and spiders then these numbers mean little. I am not sure, however, that I buy that. If that were true, the number views that different posts get would be more uniformly distributed. Instead, when you look at the numbers, it looks like the numbers are driven by human interest. Do other forums have the same member to quest ratio as this forum?
    As you can see from my signature, I have a couple (actually three) websites. With the Wood Wisdom site inparticular I can tell just about everything there is to know about visitors on my site. I often monitor the number of visitors. Shortly after putting it up I checked the number of vistors on the site. I was thrilled to see 12 visitors on my site at the same time! When I logged into the cp I identified every single one of them as a spider of some sort. Some from search engines but most info (data miners?). No a single customer in the bunch. Bummer. I think that the larger the site or the more popular or higher rating sites get more of these bots at one time.

Having said that, I do know from giving the Start-u classes that there are a bunch of CW owners that use the forum only a little bit and never signed in.
    Last edited by TerryT; 08-23-2011 at 10:44 AM.

well, I'm not offended by the guest looking. I'm one of those who are signed in but don't contribute to much. My patterns I make are not the quality of most, I take way to long to make a repair (I guess I'm afraid tomake a mistake), and don't think anything I have to offer is of that much quality. I do know that my patterns are getting better. my machine repair are being done by me, and I'm gaining knowledge all the time. I can only thank the forum for all that. In case I've received help from anyone and didn't thank them, I'm sorry but please know, you all have been a great help.
    Don

Yeah, I do this sometimes also.

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaPam View Post
    Sometimes I actually log out to view the posts that didn't get read earlier in the day. Only the posts since last viewing show up when you are signed on. If you didn't have time to read them all you don't know how all the problems and projects are going.
    G.P.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Just a quick Sampling
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Example 1a.jpg  
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Wow - real data. I knew nothing of bots and spiders. I am happy to think less than half of the quests are bots. No one seemed to share my opinion that we should motivate these real quests to contribute. I'll bet there would be a huge increase in membership if they had to join to access our free patterns. After they joined I think we all would all benefit. More patterns to share, more fix it tips, more interesting techniques, and more positive feedback for the handful of senior members who have made this forum the success that it is.

Just an idea. Thank you all for jumping in to answer my quest question.

I don't understand why being a guest who gleans information to either purchase a machine or use one is offensive. Heck, I've been a member since 2009 and I have limited posts and really don't have a lot to contribute in the way of repair knowledge or pattern help. My pattern contribution to date is "0" (zero). I just don't have the expertise or time to create them. That's why I rely on the wonderful help of the members with the knowledge to help me out. I try to always make it a point to compensate them for their time and effort when they help unless they decline. There are a large number of members here who have technical/electronic expertise or computer backgrounds that fully understand the inner workings of this machine and the computer programs necessary to make patterns. Many others (such as me) have no such background and don’t have the additional equipment/software to make that happen. By trade, I am a flat work woodworker and I do some turning (cabinet making, furniture, display cases, etc). I use the CW as I would any other tool in the shop. I use the forum to further my knowledge of the tool and to gain ideas for future projects, but as my projects (with or without CW) consume a tremendous amount of time, I just don’t have the time to go as deep as some of you are going. Even though I don’t contribute very much at all, without the forum, owning this machine would be impossible and I would be back to hand carving all the embellishments that go into some projects.

We all have our own talents! Giving "atta boys" are just as important as creating a free pattern.

And if you don't say anything on here, that's fine too... Me? Well, sometimes I talk just a little too much!
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

On the contrary, with 364 posts, you are no guest JD. I just find it sad that there are so few active members while there are so many Carvewright users out there. I think there are thousands who use the forum and the expertise of the members and that's a good thing. Good for LHR and good for all those guests. It does not, however, do much for the active members. A guest cannot thank Al or Bud for saving their ***. A guest cannot post what they did with that wonderful pattern they found on the forum. I think credit should be given where credit is due. I guess I do find it a little offensive that people take and give nothing in return. But it's not that, I just think the forum could be better for all if more guests got on board.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast