Thread: What technique or bit will hollowing out my project fastest?

Gforce568 Guest

Exclamation What technique or bit will hollowing out my project fastest?

I have a project that I need to hollow out a square piece that is 4 inches by 7 inches with a 1/4 inch border. I need 100 of these and wanted suggestions on how or what can make it go faster. Bit suggestions? Has anyone ever used a face milling type bit with their CW?

Quote Originally Posted by Gforce568 View Post
    I have a project that I need to hollow out a square piece that is 4 inches by 7 inches with a 1/4 inch border. I need 100 of these and wanted suggestions on how or what can make it go faster. Bit suggestions? Has anyone ever used a face milling type bit with their CW?
    Creating the pocket and border using vectors would be fastest (if using the CW...faster if setting up a jig and using a hand router). You may get some good ideas from the following two video tutorials...

ISSUE 36 Feb 2011 – Pocket Cutting Tips - Part 2
    ISSUE 35 Jan 2011 – Pocket Cutting Tips - Part 1

You asked for bit suggestions...3/8" or 1/2" straight end mills. Not sure what you meant by "face milling type bit". Assuming you mean a bit that has an "extra-wide" flat bottom (like a 1" or greater), I would hesitate to recommend it for the CW. I think the rpm's might be too fast for a bit that size (could overheat, work-harden, then break). Perhaps Tech Support could advise you, but I think they will steer you away from using non-tested, non-approved bits.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 08-21-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Gforce568 Guest

thank you for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Perhaps Tech Support could advise you, but I think they will steer you away from using non-tested, non-approved bits.
    Bingo! We can not recommend using any bit that is not from us for a variety of reasons. The software has no way of recognizing the size and dimensions of any non-Carvewright bit. Also, we can not make any guarantees about the composition of any other bits and there is no way to tell if the bit/project/machine would be damaged if a unapproved bit was used.