Thread: Multiple cutting passes

Default Multiple cutting passes

I want to use a 1/16 " cutting bit to make multiple parallel grooves at .625 in. deep. I want to make multiple cutting passes on each groove at say .25,.25,.125 inches for each line. Is this possible to set up either in the drawing or on the machine ( preferable)? I noticed about 2 minutes after sending this post that there is a max depth per pass option when routing. So I updated the project drawing with this set at .25 in.
    Last edited by mgsundgaard; 08-22-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Default Optimal

Quote Originally Posted by mgsundgaard View Post
    I want to use a 1/16 " cutting bit to make multiple parallel grooves at .625 in. deep. I want to make multiple cutting passes on each groove at say .25,.25,.125 inches for each line. Is this possible to set up either in the drawing or on the machine ( preferable)? I noticed about 2 minutes after sending this post that there is a max depth per pass option when routing. So I updated the project drawing with this set at .25 in.
    It may work. However, I would set the card to "Optimal" as you load the project. You will be placing a lot of continuous stress on the very small bit.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

I have to agree with AskBud -- one hic-up in the "Y" or "X" Axis -- Goodby Bit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grid 1a.jpg  
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Does CW still sell the 1/16 cutting bit? I do not see it on the web site anymore. Was the length of cut of that bit 0.8 ?

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Does CW still sell the 1/16 cutting bit? I do not see it on the web site anymore. Was the length of cut of that bit 0.8 ?
    I don't see it in the store right now either, but I was thinking the length of cut was .25 max allowed. Or at least that was what was recommended at some point.
    Doug Fletcher

Default 1/16" cutting bit

My contact at LHR states that the bit is currently out of stock.
    Quote: "Out of stock and don't know if we have a new vendor yet. Will ask." End Quote

I measured my bit and confirmed in Designer that the bit can only cut to a depth of .031.
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

I was confused by Designer. I can get Designer to go to 1.0 with the 1/16 straight bit in a single pass. That's just not right. I also thought it was 0.25. (Bud, do you mean 0.31 ?) Is mgsundgaar going to use the CW 1/16 cutting bit to cut 0.625 deep in three passes with only 0.25 LOC?

Default 1/16 cutting bit

I was confused by Designer. I can get Designer to go to 1.0 with the 1/16 straight bit in a single pass. That's just not right. I also thought it was 0.25. (Bud, do you mean 0.31 ?) Is mgsundgaar going to use the CW 1/16 cutting bit to cut 0.625 deep in three passes with only 0.25 LOC?
    When you draw a line, and apply the 1/16" 'Cutting (straight) bit you will see the depth field go to 0.031, which appears to half the diameter of the bit. If I remember the original warnings on the 1/16" cutting bit, it stated it could only cut out a section on a board 1/4 inch or less. It will exceed this depth a tad, perhaps another 32nd. This appears to be very close to the length of the flutes on the bit. Just above the flutes, the diameter of the bit shaft begins to increase. This leads me to rethink the ability to use this 1/16 Cutting bit to attain a deeper cut. The shaft will bind once it dives deeper than the length of the flutes.
    AskBud
    Last edited by AskBud; 08-22-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: remeasured the flutes
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

I think you are right Bud. I would not try to cut more than 1/4 deep with such a bit.

As for the 0.031 in the depth box. I thought that that was a stroke of genius from one of the programmers. Whenever you select a bit, that box shows the radius of the bit as the default. Very convenient to cut and paste into the inset box if you want the bit inside or outside of the path.