Thread: Hello again and a project

Default Hello again and a project

Hi all,

It's been a while since I have been around, although I have poked my head in from time to time for a quick peek. I haven't done that many projects lately, and the few I have done haven't involved the CW.

Not sure if I ever got around to posting the last CW one I did, but here it is. As always, there was so much help here on the forums I couldn't have done it without you guys. Special thanks to bjbethke for editing and cleaning the scanned cross pattern. I can't remember (Ken? Doug?) but someone helped me clean up the back side cross as well, so thanks guys.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hi. Got the shop all cleaned up, the CW machines cleaned and lubed, and looking forward to jumping back in with both feet!

Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front.jpg   back.jpg  

By the way, the project is a candle stand, to sit on the altar at our local church. The top was made from a glue up of (3) 3/4" pieces of sapele. The front and back were carved, the middle was just a shape cutout to add thickness. The candles are held in place with small rare earth magnets - one set into the stand, one epoxied to the candle bottom. Finish was bullseye sealcoat, paint pens, and a few coats of shellac.

Thanks,
    Craig

Craig....You might not have been using your CW much lately but the projects, like the candle holder, are top notch.

Craig,

That is outstanding! Beautiful design and finish. I really like your idea with the magnets holding the candles in place! Thank you for sharing the photos of your wonderful work.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Another First Class Project Craig, Nice layout and Thanks for Sharing your photos
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Particularly nice projects Craig,

What is the white band of wood inlaid into the sides? Again, beautifully finished.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bruce View Post
    Particularly nice projects Craig,

What is the white band of wood inlaid into the sides? Again, beautifully finished.
    Hi Capt Bruce,

That's just my poor photography skills showing! The only contrasting wood is the center cross (hard maple, not glued in yet on this picture). The outlines you see are just a thin cut path the width of the cutting bit, which I then filled in with gold paint. Here is a picture that shows it a little better. I wanted to do some kind of gold edging to fit with the rest of the altar items, plus I thought it helped to frame the whole piece.

Thanks to all for the compliments!

Thanks,
    Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails paint.jpg   outline.jpg  

8. Default

What a beautiful and spiritual piece, great job!

My gosh,. what a majestic piece of workmanship. Thank you for sharing. Capt Barry