Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convert flat objects to 3d

Default Convert flat objects to 3d

Can anybody tell me if there is a program that you can import flat objects into and manipulate it into 3d?
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Default Tips and Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by jaroot View Post
    Can anybody tell me if there is a program that you can import flat objects into and manipulate it into 3d?
    Michael penned the Oct-Nov 2010 T&T for this purpose. I have to admit that I can not emulate his success with this process.
    http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb...t-Nov_2010.pdf
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Thanks Bud! I've tried that tips and tricks with some success. What I'm really looking for is a program that would allow me to load an image into a program and then manipulate it into 3d. Like taking flat objects and "puff" them up for lack of a better word.

I like ShaderMap Pro, it is easy to use and it gives a good 3d look. I also have LightWave 8, but I need to learn all the controls so I can remember which ones to use when I need them, that's hard for this old man.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shaderMap PRO.jpg   OWL 55 cw.jpg   OWL 55.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bjbethke; 08-16-2011 at 10:34 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

If you use shadermap pro on a vista machine, run it in compatibility mode of XP SP2.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    Michael penned the Oct-Nov 2010 T&T for this purpose. I have to admit that I can not emulate his success with this process.
    http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb...t-Nov_2010.pdf
    AskBud
    Michael was the editor; I wrote the article.

There is no magic program that will do what you want automatically. You can load a 2D image into a paint program and "color" the image with shades of grey, much like a child colors in a coloring book, to give 3D depth. But it is not an automatic process. I did this with the tool box that recently built for the local firefighters, incorporating their hot rod fire truck logo. It was a time-consuming process.

I will try to follow up with additional articles on using 2D paint programs to create 3D patterns. I used this technique to create the fire hydrant and fire hose nozzle patterns for that project. It does take time and practice - no magic bullets unfortunately.
    Last edited by DickB; 08-17-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Hi Dick

I'm not necessarily looking for the "magic bullet" but would like to be able to import a graphic into a modeling program and manipulate it from there rather than starting from scratch trying to arrive at a 3d version of a design starting with a globe or square or what have you.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    It does take time and practice - no magic bullets unfortunately.

Yup, that's what I did using paint.net. I imported the color logo and then edited it into the 3D b&w version to make the pattern.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fire truck.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	428.5 KB 
ID:	46640 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fire truck pattern.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	46639

Hi Dick

I'm not necessarily looking for the "magic bullet" but would like to be able to import a graphic into a modeling program and manipulate it from there rather than starting from scratch trying to arrive at a 3d version of a design starting with a globe or square or what have you.
    I am with you on that one Jim!

I tried using some of the free modeling programs and quickly found that the learning curve was so steep for me I wanted to find the cliff so I could jump off. I now only use paint.net and the pattern editor. Pattern editor does have that hill to climb but since that is what I started with when I got me CW that is what I've stayed with. Lots of practice and dumping a bunch into the trash basket!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Jim, BJB mentioned shadermap pro. For what you want to do it is a great program. Cost is $19, and for the most part it is load the image, press generate displacement image, and import into designer. Some images will have to be cleaned up if they are JPG. Shadermap Pro works best with images such as clip art, but with a little work in paint.net you can make some nice patterns with it.
    Everyone raves about the great patterns BJB makes, he does them with shadermap pro, and yes he spends time cleaning the image up and shading it to give those on the forum the patterns he does. BJB even wrote a tutorial on how he makes the patterns, ask him for it. The program is easy to learn and work with.

NOTE: if you use vista operating system , run shadermap pro in compatibiliy mode of win XP sp2. If not you can not load an image into it.
    Last edited by eelamb; 08-18-2011 at 07:16 AM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast