Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood workers and sign makers, Help Please!

the only board I have seen crack that way is was from being to green and drying to quick, thus the crack. when you plane a 2" board down to 1" the moister content is gonna be higher in the middle which is what was left after planning. Sealing the end grain and air drying for a few days might of prevented the crack.

Man Ike, I'm sure it helped the OP, but for me I learned a lot from your post too-- thank you for taking the time!

Lawrence

Al, appreciate your experience. Haven’t tried PVC, do have a sample of AZEK. Not really being a commercial sign maker, it’s the “wood” part of the signs I like best.

Capt. Barry, Moisture seems to be the general thought, (along with a few other good suggestions.) Thank you for your expertise.

Good suggestion H.T. Thanks for the compliment, I can’t take credit for the design, it is their label, which beautifully reflects the gentle hills and swirling wind of the place. Their whole being is graceful, natural, rich in a quiet way. It is not an old winery or vineyard but I do have the feeling it has the ability to be one of the better ones.

Mercer 57, I follow your advice when drying our own sawn boards but failed to do so on this store bought wood. Thanks for the reminder.

Ike, we all benefit from your wisdom. You summed it up really well. As regrettable as the problem is, I have enjoyed the learning part.

Thanks again to all who responded.

G.P.

Looks to me like a cross grain problem. Wood expands and contracts across the grain way more than it does with the grain. It looks like you attached the vertical pieces directly to the sign wood. To minimize the splitting, the sign should be floating in groves in the frame so it can expand and contract as it needs to. Look at the raised panel doors in you kitchen. The panels float in the rails and styles frame for that reason.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I agree with Lawrence. Thanks for the info Ike!

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    Man Ike, I'm sure it helped the OP, but for me I learned a lot from your post too-- thank you for taking the time!

Lawrence
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12