Thread: Importing CorelDraw X4 files

Question Importing CorelDraw X4 files

One and all,

Has anyone on this forum, and successfully done so, imported CorelDraw X4 files into the CW designer software?

I'm trying to do a lithopane using a CD X4 file and apparently the designer software does not recognize the type of "graphics" file generated by Corel. It appears that I'll have to reverse the file somehow to get a jpg or a tif file.

Comments please!

You definitely want to stay way from jpg... jpg is a lossy format so typically you wont be happy with the imported results. PNG seems to be the format of choice for most of us.
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by woodchipsltd View Post
    One and all,

Has anyone on this forum, and successfully done so, imported CorelDraw X4 files into the CW designer software?

I'm trying to do a lithopane using a CD X4 file and apparently the designer software does not recognize the type of "graphics" file generated by Corel. It appears that I'll have to reverse the file somehow to get a jpg or a tif file.

Comments please!
    Right, you cannot use CorelDRAW's native file format as you have discovered. You will need to use the "Export" function in Corel (under the "File Menu"). Select your design, go to "Export", choose the graphic file format you want, and checkmark the box that says "Selected Only", then proceed to save/export the file.

After that, you can import the file into Designer, etc.

Just a side note...I would not personally use CorelDRAW for creating/exporting a photo for a litho. Rather, I would use a photo-editing program instead. That way, I can perform any edits on the photo in a more streamlined manner. Do you have the Corel Suite? If so, you already have an excellent photo editor included in the suite. If not, you can download the free program GIMP and edit/export/save photos from there.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 08-12-2011 at 07:53 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Michael T,

Thank you very much for getting back to me so quickly.

Yes, I do have the entire CorelDRAW suite, and yes I've tried to import the CD X4 file into Corel PHOTO-PAINT. Unfortunately a "cdr" file will not import into CPP. But what I discover was that that same "cdr" file can be exported as a number of different graphics file formats including PDF, PNG, JPG, GIF and TFF, which I had not tried before. Going from a vector file like the file I'm trying to do with this customers project to a one of the above types of files is something different. I'm usually going from a bitmap file to a vector file via CorelDRAW or some off site service provider depending on my customers timing and schedule. To go from a bitmap file to a vector file can, as you well know, be very time consuming.

I really don't need to edit the "cdr" file as it has everything including the shading which should, when converted in the CW design software, turn out rather well. Stay tuned!

Should you have any other suggestions, please, fire away! The one thing I've found after purchasing my CW is that I'm totally dumb in the use of the designer software.

Thanks again for your help!

Doug,

Thanks for the "heads up" on the use of jpg format. I'll give your suggestion and use the PNG file. Sincerely appreciate your help with this!