Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you have a dust collector, I need some input.

Default If you have a dust collector, I need some input.

Hi all,

I recently bought a 1HP mini dust collector (this) that pulls 914CFM, and have attempted to connect it to my Dust Deputy, with interesting results.

I had some challenges in the fact that the dust collector has a 4" inlet, and the Dust Deputy has an inlet that is approximately 2.2" at it's widest, so I used some 4" flexible vinyl pipe that you would usually use for dryer venting. This is likely where my problem started, because when I started up the dust collector, the venting collapsed in on itself because of the amount of vacuum being created. (And, when THIS happened, the motor overworked somehow, and blew out one of the brushes. I've since cleaned and replaced it, and it seems to work now.)

So, I'm looking for some input on this. What kind of tubing should I be looking for? I've recently built myself a rolling cart to house my CarveWright, the dust collector and the Dust Deputy. Basically, I'm planning on attaching the dust collector to the Dust Deputy, and then the Dust Deputy to my recently received Ringneck Blues collector. So, this means, I'm going from 4" to 2.2", and then from 2.2" back to 4". My hope was that I could use the venting, but now, I'm stumped.

I had an idea that I could go find some PVC or ABS piping normally used in plumbing applications, and make a fixed system, but I wanted to check in here first, with "The Experts".

What should I do? Thanks, in advance!

Rick
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Is a Dust Deputy a Cyclone designed for a 2.5 inch Shop Vac that sits on a 5 Gal Bucket?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Is a Dust Deputy a Cyclone designed for a 2.5 inch Shop Vac that sits on a 5 Gal Bucket?
    Yes, yes it is. Here is more information on how it works. I'm hoping it will work with the DC, but if it doesn't, I'm definitely open to attaching the DC directly to my Ringneck Blues.
    Last edited by DurhamDev; 08-10-2011 at 09:05 AM.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Rick,

Interesting problem! I would suggest either trying the flexible aluminum drier vent hose (the more rigid type and not the light foil) or just going with the hook up straight to the DC.

GOT THIS FROM YOU LINK ON THE CYCLONE!
    PLEASE NOTE: If you purchase a DIY "cyclone only" model, the drum you provide yourself must be strong enough to overcome the vacuum pressure (e.g.- 5 gal. plastic drywall bucket). We recommend at least 90 mil. side thickness, otherwise the container may collapse when in use.
    Not intended for use with hot coals, hot ash, or explosive/flammable dusts or liquids. Call us for more information: 800-732-4065
    Last edited by fwharris; 08-10-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: ADDED CYCLONE INFO
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Well, that's probably it then. I think I'll try another tack, and see if I can find some PVC. I'm sure I should be able to rig up some tubing to go from the 4" to the 2.2", and vice-versa. If that doesn't work, I'll go with a direct connection using PVC or heater venting (rigid steel) from the DC to the RB.

Rick,

I am sure PVC or steel will be your best option. Keep me posted!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    I am sure PVC or steel will be your best option. Keep me posted!
    Oh, I shall. I just bought my Wife a nice Nikon 3100 for our anniversary (I use it more!) and am just itching to take some pics of my handiwork, once everything is all hooked up. (...by the way, AMAZING work on the Ringneck Blues collector! LOVE IT!)

Rockler sells all kinds of adapters and connecters and not very expensive.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I have that exact DC hooked to our CW. At first we just hooked it directly to the DC head on the CW and it worked fine but it would fill up with sawdust pretty rapidly. And if you had any larger chips like when I used it on my planer it would plug the grate that protects the fan from such things. Now I've taken a 20 gal garbage can stuck an angled 3" pipe (i.d.) near the rim through the lid and stuck another straight 3" pipe down the center protruding about 12". Hooked the DC to the straight pipe located near the center and attached the DC head on the CW to the angled pipe. Now it works really well, most of the dust settles in the bottom of the garbage can and the bag doesn't seem to fill up at all. This is all done with the rigid flexible dryer vent that ringneck was talking about. If you go with some type of plastic then you will want to run a bare grounding wire through you system to eliminate static charge. Even if you use the flex metal pipe you will need to jump a wire from the intake and output tubes on the garbage can to jump across the plastic components going through the lid.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

EXACTLY what I was hoping. I've just picked up some rigid venting, and am planning on configuring the whole thing tonight. I have one or two small projects that I need to hit first, but hope to have pics posted by the end of the night!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast