Thread: Axis Stall Errors, Then Blank Display

Default Axis Stall Errors, Then Blank Display

I was getting a Y Axis error E05-0303, so since I was having an issue with my Z Truck/Scanning probe, I removed both the Z and Y truck to check the bearings, connections. Found one bearing, lower left on the Z Truck that's not quite as good as the rest, so temporally I removed the bearing cover, cleaned and lubed it. I plan on doing the board and flat ribbon upgrade along with the CT as well. Put every thing back together did some scanning and a couple of carves and all went well.... until today.

I got an X Axis Stall E04-0293 less than a minute into the carve and the display went blank, appeared as if there was no power, turned it on and off a couple of times and still didn't come back on. Unplugged the machine and about an hour or so and it came back on. OK good I thought, re-cleaned the tracks and rollers and started the carve over.

But now I get an Y Axis Stall E05-0303 within the first 15 seconds of the carve and then the display goes blank for a few seconds and comes back to the start of the menu. The truck/bit stays where it stopped.

I removed the bottom to check the power supply connections, etc., and also the power switch. I didn't find any loose or broken connections... Power Supply going bad? or what else should I be looking for?

Version A, latest Designer, supposedly less than 20hrs on this thing, and no updated hardware.

TIA .. Bill
    Last edited by cntbill; 08-08-2011 at 12:43 AM.

Did you buy this thing secondhand? Just curious. Have you done the flat cable test? I would go to your settings menu, and then by hand, move the z truck up and down, then left and right. Make note of your starting numbers and wiggle the flat cable on the back of the truck. If your beginning and ending numbers differ then you might have a short in your ffc cable. I may not have explained that well. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Darn..... 2AM and I am just finishing painting Signs and checked here before logging off.... Talk about Service....

Looks like a Classic L2 Problem.... Do a search for posts by me about "Power Supply L2"

It's been a few months since I posted it... but my pictures have been posted at least a dozen times... It's too late to do them again...

IF you lay the machine on it's back... Muffler Side the power will come back on...... Trust me.... It works.... It is explained in the old posts... A CLASSIC "A Model Problem"

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I think this is the thread Al was talking about.
    AskBud
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...545#post153545
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by unitedcases View Post
    Did you buy this thing secondhand? Just curious. Have you done the flat cable test? I would go to your settings menu, and then by hand, move the z truck up and down, then left and right. Make note of your starting numbers and wiggle the flat cable on the back of the truck. If your beginning and ending numbers differ then you might have a short in your ffc cable. I may not have explained that well. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Yes, and have done those test, thanks. That's how I found a bad connection on one of the cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Darn..... 2AM and I am just finishing painting Signs and checked here before logging off.... Talk about Service....

Looks like a Classic L2 Problem.... Do a search for posts by me about "Power Supply L2"

It's been a few months since I posted it... but my pictures have been posted at least a dozen times... It's too late to do them again...

IF you lay the machine on it's back... Muffler Side the power will come back on...... Trust me.... It works.... It is explained in the old posts... A CLASSIC "A Model Problem"

AL
    You guys amaze me, I didn't figure I would get any response till daylight.

I knew I seen your thread before and that is why I was checking the power supply for loose connections. But didn't remember exactly what I was to look for. Going to take another Look, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    I think this is the thread Al was talking about.
    AskBud
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...545#post153545
    Thanks for the link !

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop;from another thread
    THIS CABLE on the Z Truck WHEN SHORTED will give you a blank display too...."
    hmmmm maybe I will be updating to the new FFC cable/14 pin system then I thought....
    Last edited by cntbill; 08-08-2011 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Added quote

Be sure to order the jumper cable to be able to use the cover jack after you upgrade to the 14 pin. And when you first turn the unit on after doing the upgrade it will come up in scan area on the LCD. Follow the instructions to change the probe data from the Z Truck to the cover in the setup menu and you will be off and running.

Good Luck with the Power Supply.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Be sure to order the jumper cable to be able to use the cover jack after you upgrade to the 14 pin. And when you first turn the unit on after doing the upgrade it will come up in scan area on the LCD. Follow the instructions to change the probe data from the Z Truck to the cover in the setup menu and you will be off and running.

Good Luck with the Power Supply.

AL
    I actually got the jumper cable with the probe so I am good there.

I don't see any real issues with the power supply. It seems the girl put on a good amount of silicon.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PS01.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	357.1 KB 
ID:	46446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PS00.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	453.0 KB 
ID:	46447

OK... now that I have the bottom cover off I noticed that my X Motor was loose, took the side cover off to tighten the mounting screws and noticed that the one gear has a slight crack. I stressed the gear and the crack doesn't seem to move, but the one thing I noticed is that there seems to be some play in the gears. If you look at the alignment of the lines, which is about 4 teeth or so, that is the amount of play. I wouldn't think that there would be that much play. So I guess another thing to add to my list. (And yes I took the c clip off, if you noticed)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xdrive01.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	46448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xdrive02.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	46449

Being that the motor was loose and the play in the gears I'm guessing that would cause some of the X axis stall errors. But still not sure about the blanking display, unless the errors are causing the control board/ computer to reboot...

UPDATE:

After further inspection of the power supply I found what looked like a cold solder joint on one of the legs of the transformer(?) top left of the photo, I took a photo of the joint but I guess I had the macro setting off. I re-solder the connection, and went ahead and reassembled the gears, I figure it should last a little bit more and made sure the motor was tight. The play between the front and back gear ended up being a little less, two teeth or so.

Put the machine all back together, loaded my project and off it went with out any errors. I am going to guess the Axis stall errors were partly because of the loose motor and the blank screen from the loose connection on the power supply... Eventually I will be getting the cable upgrades, but in the mean time we'll see what happens....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xdrive00.JPG  
    Last edited by cntbill; 08-08-2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: More info

GOOD Troubleshooting..... You will do WELL with this machine....

AL

GOOD Troubleshooting..... You will do WELL with this machine....

AL
    Thanks for the words of encouragement, I hope so ....