Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carved Dust Cap

LG is right on, --for me, "just reading and dreaming"

Money is really tight right now ---to many medical bills
    I'm still looking for a second Nickel so We'll have two, to rub together
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Staying busy redoing my upstairs bathroom. Making the dust cap is high on my list when I get this remodel job from hell finished...

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Ok, let me spice it up a bit. I have a spare ER16M spindle. The first person to post pictures or video of a working Dust Cap wins the spindle. (All you get is the spindle and the M style nut. You still have to buy collets and an M style wrench.) For someone who mostly carves, the ER16M and the Dust Cap make for a great combination.

(Kevin excluded. Sorry Kevin but we need to expand the club!)

Al, the reason I have gone to the trouble of making the Dust Cap carvable is because I never heard anything else from Ron Justice. I originally hoped he would manufacture these things. He went silent on the ER spindles as well. He may not think the demand is there.

Anyway, you have to carve your own. It is not so hard. I will provide better instructions later if I decide to make it a Carvewright Project.

(If time is money Al, the forum users owe you about million dollars!)

It is certainly on my short list of to dos- especially with your proof in concept for metal carving.

Thanks again for taking the time to post this- it is beyond cool
    Lawrence

4. Default

Way beyond cool idea!

But Ken, I think my wife and I have the other nickel, we've been looking for yours for awhile now...
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.
    Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

FATAL ERROR! SYSTEM HALTED! - Press any key to do nothing...

Some people have a way with words, others not have way.
    CarveSpot Forum

Well, it has been a week and not a peep from anybody about the Dust Cap except Kevin. Are the instructions too brief? Is there doubt as to how well it works? Are you all too busy? Are you waiting for someone else to build it? Do you still think you need a 4 inch industrial DC system to remove dust from a machine that creates like a gram of dust per minute? I do not understand.

I got so much positive support for the original dust cap from you guys that I spent two weeks redesigning it so that the machine could carve it. My own dust problem was already solved. It was the same with the ER spindle. I put extra time and money into it because of your positive feedback and then - nothing.

With the ER spindle, I thought oh well, these are woodworkers, no one has a lathe. The Dust Cap, however, is just a plastic model any kid can build. Come on you guys, I would hate to think you are all talk and no action!
    Busy right now; I have four projects machined but not finished and three more projects pending. Your system may work better, but mine is satisfactory for now. I need to keep building.

I like the concept. It is similar to systems I have seen on larger, commercial CNC routers. I do have a concern for some work that I do in pine which often generates clumps of curly shavings, that these may clog your system. And I'm not crazy about replacing the bit plate. I will probably try your system or something like it, but not right away.

I was only hoping for a few members to participate in testing this prototype. I wanted some experienced carvers to test the making of it and use of it with the different types of chucks and situations. With what was learned, the concept could be taken to the next level where anyone could carve and use it.

As for the bit plate, it remains an unfortunate complication on the one hand yet the new bit plate is consistent and quiet. Its function does not depend on the carriage crashing into the end of the machine. It is nice not to hear that "THWACK" anymore!

As for the curly chips, I like to carve with the grain at times and I thought it would clog as you say. It does not seem to be a problem, it takes them one at a time as they come off.

I know many of you guys are too busy to get into this and you should wait until it has been thoroughly tested before adopting it. I am depending on the members who said they wanted to be involved in the evolution of this thing to get involved. Come on you guys, it is time to put the bit to it.

I was only hoping for a few members to participate in testing this prototype. I wanted some experienced carvers to test the making of it and use of it with the different types of chucks and situations. With what was learned, the concept could be taken to the next level where anyone could carve and use it.

As for the bit plate, it remains an unfortunate complication on the one hand yet the new bit plate is consistent and quiet. Its function does not depend on the carriage crashing into the end of the machine. It is nice not to hear that "THWACK" anymore!

As for the curly chips, I like to carve with the grain at times and I thought it would clog as you say. It does not seem to be a problem, it takes them one at a time as they come off.

I know many of you guys are too busy to get into this and you should wait until it has been thoroughly tested before adopting it. I am depending on the members who said they wanted to be involved in the evolution of this thing to get involved. Come on you guys, it is time to put the bit to it.
    I would try it but were can I get the pieces or do I have to carve them
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Well I've already got a 4" DC system on mine, though I'm not completely satisfied with it. I have down loaded the files. If I can come up with the acrylic I might give it a shot.

As for the "THWACK", I've always found that to be reasuring. With the trouble I've had with the bit plate not extending all the way it lets me know that all is well.

Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Yes, you have to carve the parts out of 1/4 inch cast acrylic. The files and rather brief instructions are on the "To Carve the Dust Cap" thread. There are also some parts to buy. It is a project.

As for the "Thwack", that's what I meant. No more bit plate noise or problems!

Well, it has been a week and not a peep from anybody about the Dust Cap except Kevin. Are the instructions too brief? Is there doubt as to how well it works? Are you all too busy? Are you waiting for someone else to build it?
    Just saw this thread yesterday, and am intrigued, as I've yet to employ a dust collection system. Great concept! If I didn't have my hands full with other projects (am trimming out part of the house), I'd jump right in. In a few weeks...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast