Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carved Dust Cap

Default Carved Dust Cap

Here is a video of the Dust Cap carved by the Carvewright collecting acrylic dust as the machine carves one of its own parts.

I thought I would start a new thread so that more would see it. The files and some instructions how to carve it are at the end of the "To Carve the Dust Cap" thread. I am hoping that some of you guys will carve it, put it together, try it, and give the forum some feedback. I have an ER16M chuck. I would like to know how well it works with the QC, CT, and Rock chucks. How does it work with azek? There are many questions. It is a prototype which needs testing.

I have spent a lot of time on this Dust Cap because I know how well it works. I think that after you try it you will wonder how you ever carved without it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEuxLaUDw-c
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dust Cap 1.JPG  

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

That is awesome! That cap would have solved my problem with dust from AZEK carving!!
    Thanks for posting.
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

Any takers on making them for you and selling them? Time is Money, and for me, something this detailed, I would rather just buy one and take the deduction at TAX time...

I cut 3 sheets of FRP Tags the other night with the Ringneck Blues Version and I was VERY Impressed.... It sucked to the point of cleaning all the dust off but not to the point of lifting the tag from the sheet... I am still using double stick tape to hold the tag after it is cut with NO tabs.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

That is AMAZING
    Nut just the concept but the quality of the piece.
    Good job.
    Maybe one day, I will have enough time to do something like that.
    Benoit Rouvery

Both this piece and the Rock chuck are excellent examples of Carvewright users making aftermarket items of amazingly high quality. Great job bergerud. I think you've hit this one out of the park and can't wait to try it.

Has anyone tried it with a Rock chuck yet?

Lawrence

berg, just a great job!! I'm planning to do 1 after the summer activities kool down. I use a Fred Potter version DC and just can't get the high density plastic chips to lift up. Also, your ER16 chuck conversion still has me salvating. Joe
    Plea of Insanity for Addiction to ol' H-D Sporters

Default Contest

Ok, let me spice it up a bit. I have a spare ER16M spindle. The first person to post pictures or video of a working Dust Cap wins the spindle. (All you get is the spindle and the M style nut. You still have to buy collets and an M style wrench.) For someone who mostly carves, the ER16M and the Dust Cap make for a great combination.

(Kevin excluded. Sorry Kevin but we need to expand the club!)

Al, the reason I have gone to the trouble of making the Dust Cap carvable is because I never heard anything else from Ron Justice. I originally hoped he would manufacture these things. He went silent on the ER spindles as well. He may not think the demand is there.

Anyway, you have to carve your own. It is not so hard. I will provide better instructions later if I decide to make it a Carvewright Project.

(If time is money Al, the forum users owe you about million dollars!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.JPG  
    Last edited by bergerud; 08-04-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Well, it has been a week and not a peep from anybody about the Dust Cap except Kevin. Are the instructions too brief? Is there doubt as to how well it works? Are you all too busy? Are you waiting for someone else to build it? Do you still think you need a 4 inch industrial DC system to remove dust from a machine that creates like a gram of dust per minute? I do not understand.

I got so much positive support for the original dust cap from you guys that I spent two weeks redesigning it so that the machine could carve it. My own dust problem was already solved. It was the same with the ER spindle. I put extra time and money into it because of your positive feedback and then - nothing.

With the ER spindle, I thought oh well, these are woodworkers, no one has a lathe. The Dust Cap, however, is just a plastic model any kid can build. Come on you guys, I would hate to think you are all talk and no action!

lonely at the top I guess. Not to worry we are reading and dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Well, it has been a week and not a peep from anybody about the Dust Cap except Kevin. Are the instructions too brief? Is there doubt as to how well it works? Are you all too busy? Are you waiting for someone else to build it? Do you still think you need a 4 inch industrial DC system to remove dust from a machine that creates like a gram of dust per minute? I do not understand.

I got so much positive support for the original dust cap from you guys that I spent two weeks redesigning it so that the machine could carve it. My own dust problem was already solved. It was the same with the ER spindle. I put extra time and money into it because of your positive feedback and then - nothing.

With the ER spindle, I thought oh well, these are woodworkers, no one has a lathe. The Dust Cap, however, is just a plastic model any kid can build. Come on you guys, I would hate to think you are all talk and no action!
    Actually, I love the concept and read with great interest, everything you do! I was talking with LHR the other day and was "bragging" about your dust cap. They are liking it too, and admire your creativity and efforts - in fact they had their own prototype dust cap versions years ago and experimented with various configurations, etc. The concept is a good one, alright!

So far, I've not taken any action on making my own - yet. I don't currently use any dust collection of any kind, but "should", I suppose. If I can only get far enough ahead....maybe I'll find some time...well, I can dream, can't I?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast