Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needing some help with a pattern

Default Needing some help with a pattern

My friend bought a sign while on vacation out West. (Didn't like the sign its self but loved the idea.) Thought I would try to make something similar... but I need to make a carveable pattern. I want to be able to personalize these. I used the Harley Davidson Motor Clothes Design and changed it up a bit (hope I don't get in trouble for that).

Now don't hurt yourself laughing but I am attaching a photo of Bill's sign and a sketch of what I want to do but have no clue on how to go about making a pattern. Is it possible to make a pattern from my sketch LOL

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Lilly♥
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails black&white hd1.jpg   Bill's Sign.jpg  

Well here is as little help as you will probably ever get. Real quick simple import to design. On on left was straight in and carved inverted one on right was imported inverted and carved normal. Someone with skills could probably clean up the art and give you something really nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eagle Spread.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

how about this with a 60 degree bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b&whd.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	46165

b&whd.mpc
    Last edited by gsdsj; 07-28-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    My friend bought a sign while on vacation out West. (Didn't like the sign its self but loved the idea.) Thought I would try to make something similar... but I need to make a carveable pattern. I want to be able to personalize these. I used the Harley Davidson Motor Clothes Design and changed it up a bit (hope I don't get in trouble for that).

Now don't hurt yourself laughing but I am attaching a photo of Bill's sign and a sketch of what I want to do but have no clue on how to go about making a pattern. Is it possible to make a pattern from my sketch LOL

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Lilly♥
    Great Drawing, I modified it a little - I feel if you make the drawings straight from your mind it is yours. I like coloring books, they make great patterns. A true line drawing works the best (No Fill in) I use the Grayscale in Photoshop to tell my CW unit to show her where here Z Truck should be placed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Born to Ride.jpg   Born to Ride2.jpg   Born to Ride22.jpg  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Thanks for the help and ideas.

jaroot...Such a simple fix...was this done in designer? I have been thinking of purchasing it. Wish I had taken more time in preparing my artwork. Maybe someone will have pity on me
    and help me clean it up.

gsdsj...What a great idea using the 60 degree bit.. I love the look too. I need to put more time in learning how to use my machine. Thanks for all the time you put into helping me.

Thanks again,
    Lilly♥

Quote Originally Posted by bjbethke View Post
    Great Drawing, I modified it a little - I feel if you make the drawings straight from your mind it is yours. I like coloring books, they make great patterns. A true line drawing works the best (No Fill in) I use the Grayscale in Photoshop to tell my CW unit to show her where here Z Truck should be placed.
    Thank you for your help and advice.. I definately need to brush up on my computer drawing skills. I have more ideas than I know how to produce..lol

Lilly♥

Quote Originally Posted by bjbethke View Post
    I decided to take this picture as an opportunity to practice to learn some of the techniques that make pictures looks good in carvings. I tried to duplicate the effects as I guessed that you might have done it. I copied the eagle into paint.net and used the technique described in the tutorial created by AskBud where you create additional layers and use the Gaussian blur then combine them back for the rounded effect. I know you said you used photoshop, but I am guessing you did something similar. I inverted the colors then did the blur and found that it was working, but not well enough. Then I cut out the nameplate and did a separate layer for it and then the head and did a separate layer for it. I was able to achieve something similar to what you had for those parts, (although the eyes and beak need more work) but for the wings I tried doing the same thing, but no matter what I did I couldn't get anything even close to what you got. I assume it has to do with the size of the items? Is there a specific trick to getting things of the shape and size of the wings to appear rounded?

It still looked like something else was missing until I saw that you also outlined and raised the whole thing. Did you do that in Photoshop or once it was in designer? What is the best tool to select and outline an irregular many part object line like this one? When I tried to outline in designer or in Paint.net it tried to outline all the individual feathers and such rather than the whole thing.

I love the suggestion of looking in coloring books for source material. Those ideas that you don't think of until someone says it and then you think "of course it seems so obvious" are the ones that are real genius.

Couldn't help myself, While watching everyone else having fun --- thought I'd give it a try too.
    I also played and modified it a little, with CW Designer and Paint.Net
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sign Test 1a km 2011.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 07-28-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Changed the Date
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Nice job on the MPC Ken.
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.