Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large lake map plaque

Default Large lake map plaque

I make depth contour lake maps of local lakes. I've been making them in various sizes of 9", 11", and 14" wide. I got a request to make one about 4' x 2', which meant it would need to be carved in at least two pieces. This was the first time I had done this, although many others have made large signs this way. I used layout tips by Michael T and left about a quarter of an inch overlap on the joined edge, which I trimmed to exact fit with my table saw. I was very pleased with the result.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6304047.JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	555.8 KB 
ID:	46052

The wood is New Zealand pine, which Al recently commented on in another thread. It carves well, has no knots, and is very straight with no warping. If you're careful it can be difficult to see the glue line when edge gluing.

When I carved the top half, I didn't bother to delete the centerline lettering. I was surprised when the machine prompted for the V bit, but I obliged, and the machine air carved in one dimension off to the side of the board! Next time I will delete the lettering. Likewise, the oval cutout air carved off to the side of the board in a straight line.

I did not actually use a complete cut through for the cutout. My thinking was that it is much easier to clamp straight boards than oval ones. I did not trust tabs to be sufficient. So I cut only 1/2" through, glued and clamped, then cut the oval completely through but slightly oversize using a handheld scroll saw. The edge was trimmed with a conventional router trim bit to complete the cut.

Your lakes Plaque Project Looks Terrific!!
    Nice Contrast in your choice of woods and finish
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

nice job on the map!

That turned out really nice. I guess I'll have to try a "large" sign one of these days.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

And a new idea, at that! I live in a region with a lot of lakes and a large summer population of 'lakers''. Sometimes I wonder how the county is big enough to hold all the bass boats that are here all summer long. I'd bet a lot of they would love something like this.
    Will have to look into this....

I have seen laser-etched 2D maps and laser cutout maps made of stacked layers of thin stock, a layer for each 10' or so. But as far as I know I'm the only one in the area carving them. I also blend the depth contours so that they look more natural rather than like a stair step. I just got another custom order for a 4' x 3' map, so that means three boards.

That is really some nice work, Capt Barry

8. Default

That is a great sign ... now I want to go fishing.

Wow! What a great-looking plaque! That sure does look like a single piece of wood. No one would ever know that it was a glue-up just by looking at it. Very, very nice work. No wonder you're getting more orders! Class act, all the way.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedWoodshop View Post
    That is a great sign ... now I want to go fishing.
    Yup, that's my problem - do I make more lake maps, or go boating?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast