Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US-Maryland

The Woodworking show in Timonium is coming up this weekend. Anyone going?

dave

I am willing to host a Maryland users group meeting at my house. What day of the week would suit the most potential users? Or should I just pick and arbitrary date?

dave

The inaugural meeting of the Maryland users group (which we may have to call the Maryland/Southern Pennsylvania user group as we will have several members from PA) will take place at Tyler Newberry's cabinet making shop at 410 Abbottstown pike, Abbottstown, pa 17301 On Sunday Feb 16th at 2:00PM. Tyler generously volunteered his heated shop for the meeting, heated being the key draw with the weather we have been having lately. If you are interested in attending PM me or just reply.

I met several CW users at the woodworking show in Baltimore and we should have a pretty good group. Several had pictures of their work and there was some nice pieces. If you are within driving distance of Abbottstown you are hereby invited.

Tyler's website is newberrymillwork.com if you want to check it out.

dave

Just bumping this thread to let everyone know that we don't plan on letting the big snowstorm stop us. We still plan to have the first meeting of the Maryland users group this Sunday afternoon.

dave

Today we had the first meeting of the Mason Dixon chapter of the carvewright user group. Since about half were pa residents and half md residents we decided on the Mason Dixon name. We had an enthusiastic group of a dozen people with experience level ranging from about 4 years to 'haven't even taken my machine out of the box yet'. We talked about a number of topics from basic use of the software to dust collection. We decided to get together once month on the second Sunday afternoon and we will continue in the same venue at Tyler Newberry's. They have a great shop setup. Next month on March 9th we will be discussing sleds. We will also be conducting a review of Larry's home brewed beer which he has promised to bring. Attached are some pictures.

DaveClick image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1392603505643.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	67634
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1392603528222.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1392603556332.jpg  

Default Second meeting of the mason Dixon chapter user group

Here's what you missed Sunday if you weren't at the user group meeting. We had lower attendance than last month. I guess I need to send out a reminder. Next month I will do that. There were 5 of us in attendance. We were looking forward to tasting some of Larry Stroebel's homebrew but neither he nor his beer were in attendance. Last month there were some questions about making sleds, so I brought two sleds that I had made for two projects I had done. Sleds are pretty easy to make from scrap plywood, but if you go online and look at some of the fancy ones people have made you can get intimidated. These were simple and ugly and will intimidate no one. But easily demonstrated all the features you need to have in a successful sled.

I also brought my dust collector so that those who don't have one can see how it fits into the machine. It is a little different than the ringneck blues one, but pretty close in how it operates.

We spent some time talking about the 3D pattern suite. I recently purchased it and have been playing with it. In playing I realized a quick and easy way to use the sweep rails feature to make pieces that look like they were turned on the lathe. Not the fully round stock, but the half a turned piece you might see on a sconce set or a pillar on a clock. I also demonstrated the sweep round feature and how it can be used to make things like picture frames.

We talked a little about videos for training and that reminded me to show where you can find a treasure trove of videos created by a wonderful gentleman from the
    carvewright forum who went by the handle Askbud. he died last year, but the videos he created were recently put on a youtube channel called Askbud's Carvewright Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuPGNf9VTXuRJhI16xExxEQ he made a video of just about everything you could think of doing with the designer software. And probably a few things you wouldn't have thought of.

We also watched another video while we were on youtube of Izzy Swan and his jig for making bowls on a tablesaw. Pretty cool stuff. Youtube can definitely suck up hours of time.

We discussed next month's meeting. Tyler may have to be coaching lax on Sunday afternoon, but the shop will be open and his dad will be there. We also still need to try to find a location closer to Rocky so that the couple of guys down in that area can get together. Perhaps someone can volunteer.

dave

I live in St Mary's County MD, and am new to the CW and all its capabilities. Is this users group still going? If so, could I please be added to the list for possible attendence?

Thanks, and hope to see everyone soon!

Brian

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bchawkins View Post
    I live in St Mary's County MD, and am new to the CW and all its capabilities. Is this users group still going? If so, could I please be added to the list for possible attendence?

Thanks, and hope to see everyone soon!

Brian

Brian,
    I am in Leonardtown….by chance did you find a local group? If not, interested in starting up one with me?

-Al

Post hello

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    The inaugural meeting of the Maryland users group (which we may have to call the Maryland/Southern Pennsylvania user group as we will have several members from PA) will take place at Tyler Newberry's cabinet making shop at 410 Abbottstown pike, Abbottstown, pa 17301 On Sunday Feb 16th at 2:00PM. Tyler generously volunteered his heated shop for the meeting, heated being the key draw with the weather we have been having lately. If you are interested in attending PM me or just reply.

I met several CW users at the woodworking show in Baltimore and we should have a pretty good group. Several had pictures of their work and there was some nice pieces. If you are within driving distance of Abbottstown you are hereby invited.

Tyler's website is newberrymillwork.com if you want to check it out.

dave
    I have ha a carvewright for 12 years but have not really but have not use i to it full potential. Would like to find a group to share ideas and get help when needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12