What do they all have in common? Well, they are all currently part of my latest project.
I started the robot before the Plymouth Walldog event, and have jumped back in now that I'm home after the 4th of July holiday.
I have wanted to make a robot for awhile, and designed several. Each version was designed to hold a sign. I had also been asked some time back if I could do a garden gnome sculpture and I just didn't have the time for the project, but thought a steampunk garden gnome would be fun..last but not least, I signed up to participate in a contest to "improve" a raygun made by WETA as part of their Dr. Grordbort product line. So many projects...so little time. Wait! What if I combined them all!
So- I'm working on a robot holding a sign in one hand and a lethal raygun in the other. He is controlled by a little garden gnome that will be visible from a port on front.
The project began with the body of the robot- which I decided to build from plywood. It's made of 20 triangles which make up a kind of "sphere".

Then I created an armature for the legs and arms. This armature will be covered with pieces of carved Azek material. First I built up some "mounts" for the legs out of 30lb. HDU.