Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robots, Rayguns, Garden Gnomes and Signs

Default Robots, Rayguns, Garden Gnomes and Signs

What do they all have in common? Well, they are all currently part of my latest project.
    I started the robot before the Plymouth Walldog event, and have jumped back in now that I'm home after the 4th of July holiday.
    I have wanted to make a robot for awhile, and designed several. Each version was designed to hold a sign. I had also been asked some time back if I could do a garden gnome sculpture and I just didn't have the time for the project, but thought a steampunk garden gnome would be fun..last but not least, I signed up to participate in a contest to "improve" a raygun made by WETA as part of their Dr. Grordbort product line. So many projects...so little time. Wait! What if I combined them all!
    So- I'm working on a robot holding a sign in one hand and a lethal raygun in the other. He is controlled by a little garden gnome that will be visible from a port on front.
    The project began with the body of the robot- which I decided to build from plywood. It's made of 20 triangles which make up a kind of "sphere".

Then I created an armature for the legs and arms. This armature will be covered with pieces of carved Azek material. First I built up some "mounts" for the legs out of 30lb. HDU.

Today, I worked on the leg pieces- designed in illustrator, and then carved in my awesome CarveWright.

Once they were carved- I attached them to the legs.

Great fun! To top off my day, the kit from WETA arrived! It's the base "raygun" that I will take apart and upgrade as part of my robot build. It's a shame to take it apart as the raygun is gorgeous and large all by itself!

You can follow the build at my journal: www.haffnersigns.blogspot.com
    Doug

Great work. The gauges have a few years on them. Capt Barry

I've been getting more done....there are some details inside and I finally began work on the pilot and his chair.
    The chair is based on an old antique barber chair. Lots of fun!!!

Looking awesome Doug! Good thing I scrolled down to the bottom, thought the barber chair was the bucket! LOL...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

You're a very talented guy! Love your stuff!
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Doug, you're just having too much fun, as usual! Seriously, though...great work!!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Doug, WOW ! ! There are not enough words to go around . Just WOW !! Capt Barry

9. Default

ummmmmmmm ... I got nothin' - really Doug I'll second what Capt. Barry said.

As always, very cool Doug! It reminds me of an illustrated art cover from a 20's-30's Amazing Science Fiction pulp. Can't wait to see more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast