Thread: Bit error – won’t route

Default Bit error – won’t route

I finished a carving of a US State Quarters map and decided to use the CW to route the 4 sides. I loaded the ½” ball bit and put in a scrap board for a test. I pushed route, edge and entered a depth of .185 and enter. The CW said select bit, I entered ½” ball and the CW said load bit, I hit enter and the CW went into homing and measuring and routed the edge just fine. I loaded my project board and did it all again and after measuring, the truck returned home and the CW gave me a bit error E16-0296. I have tried this 6 times with the same results each time. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by chkorte View Post
    I finished a carving of a US State Quarters map and decided to use the CW to route the 4 sides. I loaded the ½” ball bit and put in a scrap board for a test. I pushed route, edge and entered a depth of .185 and enter. The CW said select bit, I entered ½” ball and the CW said load bit, I hit enter and the CW went into homing and measuring and routed the edge just fine. I loaded my project board and did it all again and after measuring, the truck returned home and the CW gave me a bit error E16-0296. I have tried this 6 times with the same results each time. Any thoughts?
    Did it give you the choice to 1 reload bit 2 continue? The bit may have slipped and did not read it as it did the first time. Plus the obviuos question the bit plate did come out? One other thing is your sliding guide next to the board? If it is not it will not read the depth in the horseshoe area.

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Did it give you the choice to 1 reload bit 2 continue? The bit may have slipped and did not read it as it did the first time. Plus the obviuos question the bit plate did come out? One other thing is your sliding guide next to the board? If it is not it will not read the depth in the horseshoe area.

Ike
    The only choice it gave me is hit STOP. The bit has a stop collar on such that it can't slide in any farther. The bit plate did come out as is normal. The sliding guide is next to the board. It goes thru everything as is normal and when it gets to finding surface it goes to the board and touches it 3 times and goes home and gives me the error. I thought maybe the board was to thin becaude its only 1/2" thick so I added boards on the bottom to give a thicker board reading but it didn't make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by chkorte View Post
    The only choice it gave me is hit STOP. The bit has a stop collar on such that it can't slide in any farther. The bit plate did come out as is normal. The sliding guide is next to the board. It goes thru everything as is normal and when it gets to finding surface it goes to the board and touches it 3 times and goes home and gives me the error. I thought maybe the board was to thin becaude its only 1/2" thick so I added boards on the bottom to give a thicker board reading but it didn't make any difference.
    I am at a lost other then trying a different project to try to see if the errors occurs? Maybe you can share the mpc? Maybe the depth is too deep? Was your test piece 1/2"? One other thing try loading the bit again. Do you have a CT or QC? It may not be seated correctly? Then at the very least try another board. Or in the designer the board is not 1/2"?

Ike
    Last edited by Ike; 03-07-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    I am at a lost other then trying a different project to try to see if the errors occurs? Maybe you can share the mpc? Maybe the depth is too deep? Was your test piece 1/2"? One other thing try loading the bit again. Do you have a CT or QC? It may not be seated correctly? Then at the very least try another board. Or in the designer the board is not 1/2"?

Ike
    I'm going to try reloading the bit again tomorrow. I use a rock chuck. I don't think the mpc would help. I was doing this using the keypad function. The test piece was 3/4" but after I added wood strips to the bottom of the board it was 3/4" also. I even put masking tape on the bottom ede for tracking.

Why I was asking about the mpc is the board setting for a 3/4" board or 1/2"? If you have a planer you could use a 3/4" board and plane it down to half inch? Oh well I tried!!

Ike

Default Machine wins

Well, I spent a good part of the day trying to figure this problem out. I started by cleaning the CW. I blew out all the dust, wiped down all the rails with a rag sprayed with silicon, cleaned the 4 posts and checked the head pressure (78 lbs). Then I took the ½” ballnose bit out and reinstalled it in the rock chuck. Then I put in a scrap piece of wood, 8” X 6” X ¾” and using the key pad I push 3 (route) then all. I enter the depth .185 and push enter. I select ½” ballnose bit and push enter, load the bit and push enter. It begins routing the board perfectly. Then I put the project board in, a US Quarters State Map, 24” X 14.125” X ½”. Using the key pad I push 3 (route) then all. I enter the depth .185 and push enter. I select ½” ballnose bit and push enter, load the bit and push enter. The CW goes into homing then across and touches the bit plate and back home and touches along side the board and then goes into finding surface, touches the board twice and gives me a bit selection fault, error 016-0296 and says push stop. I think maybe the board is to thin so I tape a rail on the bottom of each side of the board to give me a thickness of ¾” and try again. Same results. Now I think maybe the board is too wide. It shouldn’t be because it’s the same board that 2 days ago I jointed using a 3/8” jointing bit and then carved the pattern on. But I put in a new board, 22” X 11” X ½” and try it again. More or less the same results, just a different bit error, don’t remember which one. Now I load another board, 20” X 6” X ¾” and try again. It routes the board perfectly. The machine wins, I did the routing by hand.

I had the same thing happen to me today... Anyone have any ideas ??? This was simply stupid... I did edge routs many times with no trouble,, Today I tried bout 6 -7 times,, then reinstalled bit and tried few more times... Changed to different bit.. Same result... Changed depth of rout,,, Tried everything... Any clues here !!!
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

With an E16 error, there is a bit problem according to the error list.
    Maybe allowing the bit to extend a little further out of the chuck might help.

Just a thought.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi