Thread: Where to begin with Crown Moulding

1. Default Where to begin with Crown Moulding

I am a new carvewrightite and am in need of some help. I am wanting to carve a lot of crown moulding and baseboard and other boards for my house and don't know where to start. I have included a couple of picture of the design I want. However, I am needing to replicate it several times. Where is a good place to start? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_9054.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	45482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_9053.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	45483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_9055.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	652.7 KB 
ID:	45484
    Close-up Sample piece End

Default This may help

Nice molding.You are better of to make this on the router table.It will still look like one piece .Three piece glue up.Fancy piece done on the cw.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Router .PNG 
Views:	91 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	45488

There will be a lot less sanding and faster.

IF I were going to attempt something like this I would make a sled or carrier board and double stick tape thin wood to the top say 11.25 inches wide x 6 feet. I would then make the artwork to do just the 3/4 inch wide 3D pattern area of the molding. I would cut it into strips.

I would make the Linear Areas of the molding with a recess area to insert the 3D strip.... I could see the Pattern Makers running with this idea..... and having Fancy Repeating Patterns for us to BUY....

Imagine a new kind of Custom Molding where the Bulk of the Molding is made is a Router Type Cutter with a Slot to Accept Custom Inlay 3D... Anything from what you show in your pictures to something like Sports OR Vegetable OR Grape inlays... It is Endless....

This could be a NEW Product....

Making the Whole Molding with the CW would be very inefficient... Use the CW to do what it does best..... the 3D insert....

NEW Product Alert !!!!

AL Who...

Like Roger Said....
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 06-28-2011 at 08:09 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by flyan_bryan View Post
    I am a new carvewrightite and am in need of some help. I am wanting to carve a lot of crown moulding and baseboard and other boards for my house and don't know where to start. I have included a couple of picture of the design I want. However, I am needing to replicate it several times. Where is a good place to start? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    How many linear feet of this moulding do you need to make? I agree with the other posts that you should only use the carvewright for the egg and dart section of the moulding.
    John

5. Default

jgowrie,

I need about 500 linear feet. That includes the matching baseboard and chair rail.
    Last edited by flyan_bryan; 06-30-2011 at 04:33 AM.

6. Default

Digitalwoodshop,

Would you see the crack where you put the two pieces together? If so, how do you eliminate that?
    Last edited by flyan_bryan; 06-30-2011 at 04:34 AM.

7. Default

RogerB,

I want this moulding to be from 5 to 6 inches wide. Do they make router bits that are that big, or should I use a shaper?

Sorry took so long on this .Yes they make 3 inch long bits. If you pick your joints in the right spot you will not see them .I do this for fire place mantles all the time.