Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: board thickness always 5" and to thick to cut through note comes up

Default board thickness always 5" and to thick to cut through note comes up

Hi all

I am back again to try to work with my machine, i think it has been at least 6 months since the last time i used it. i have been in hospital again and again trying to find a way to control all my pain with out being asleep all the time, that stinks because i love working with my machine, and only doing it 2 months out of the year makes me have to retrain myself everything i work on it. I fix more machine then i carve with them, but at least others get to use them, and fixing them is just as much fun, maybe, kinda, NO.

Every time i check the thickness on any board i try i get 5" thick and too thick to cut all the way through. Any ideas as to where to look for help on this one. no errors, it would continue on with my pattern if i would let it. just kind of strange. machine 3 was working when i put it to rest 6 months ago. I keep them covered with sheets when not in the shop. shop is climate controlled so just not sure what happened. I have 18 barn cats so i don't have any mice in the house or around the house. pretty clean in side?

little help please. I could use one of the other machines but i don't have dust collector on them. I am still using aftermarket bit chuck.

Thanks
    Tim

Hi Tim,
    Please attach your MPC.
    Also, do you use plane wood, or do you place your wood on a sled?
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Tim,

Do you get a message to cut the "Board or Project?" Board = 5 inches, Project = Thickness of the board in Designer.

Welcome Back,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I would update the software and flash firmware then you should get a message to hit 1 to contune...

Default board thickness always 5"

hi again
    why is my machine now decided all boards are 5" thick, i think it is a sensor issue but not for sure and thought one of you might have seen this before,

Thanks
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by temler View Post
    hi again
    why is my machine now decided all boards are 5" thick, i think it is a sensor issue but not for sure and thought one of you might have seen this before,

Thanks
    Tim
    Hi Tim,

How wide is your board (or sled)?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

thanks for the reply.
    i have tried 5 inch 10 inch and 14" and everything in between i think and it always comes up 5" too thick won't work. real strange have not done anything to it and it finished the last project a year ago with out any problems at all.

Thanks for the help
    Tim

no i get an error when it is measuring the board in the beginning of a carve. where it should come up with .75 for 3/4" lumber. it just thinks all board that i put in are 5" thick or at least it give me the over 5" error so i can't really say what it thinks the thickness is.
    I thought maybe there is a way to zero out the sensors and mine is off. i don't know. please enlighten me

Thanks
    Tim

Sounds to me like a Z axes problem. When the machine homes at the beginning, does the bit go all the way down past the wood, and does it actually touch the bit plate twice on the back side. If not, clean and lube the Z rails. If that doesn't help, mark the four bearings on the Z truck with a sharpie and move it up and down. Do the bearings turn? You could have a frozen bearing. I did and ordered new ones, but while I was waiting for them I freed up the froze bearing with 3in1 oil and working it (Z truck removed). I now have another 100 hrs on that bearing and a couple of spares.
    Clint

is there a chance this problem might be because i have not done a z axis upgrade on this machine yet. this is the last machine i need to do it to but getting the 100 bucks is hard right now.

thanks
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast