Thread: Sled

Question Sled

I made a sled 3/4" thick with a 1/4" 5x7 inlay for corain. How deep should I make the cuts for a portrait?
    Thanks,
    Leo

Smarter people than me are sure to chime in but my understanding is that the suggested depth of carve for lithos in Corian is 1/8". I have been recently working on some lithos cut .100" deep in .125" thick cast acrylic and the results so far have been quite promising. I have not carved any Corian and I'm not sure if it is more/less translucent than the acrylic that I'm using.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Default Thin areas

A couple of thoughts about the depth.
    Carving shallow requires more back lighting whereas carving to .153 or more thins areas so that less light is needed.
    However, you must pay attention to the height of the picture to avoid too much contrast with a deep carving.

I've done less than a dozen lithos so my knowledge is limited on this subject.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by nuchie View Post
    I made a sled 3/4" thick with a 1/4" 5x7 inlay for corain. How deep should I make the cuts for a portrait?
    Thanks,
    Leo
    Hello Leo,

Jason Allen gave some good guidelines/instructions you may find helpful for creating lithophanes in the following Tips & Tricks...

ISSUE 16 January 2009 – Lithopane (Lithophane) Carving
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

If you follow what Michael's link shows it will work out just perfect. I use this with all my litho's and have never messed any of them up.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

That sled works great, only problem is now i have 3/16 thick acrylic and have to put a shim under it to make the machine see the same thickness and not carve too light. I know i should make another sled but i think my laziness is peaking out. Several sheets of paper cut on a matte cutter work just fine as shims ha ha

Stephen

Stephen, my sled is set up for 3/4" material and when I do a litho (1/4") I put 1/2" stock under it so the machine sees it as being 3/4", I have always used this method and never had a problem.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.