Thread: Importing Black & White (Silhouette) Images

Default Importing Black & White (Silhouette) Images

Hello....and help! When importing 'Black & White (silhouette) Images', we get a recessed region around the image (see attached). When setting the depth to 0.00", the image becomes uncarveable. Please advise. Thanks a bunch in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by cseidler View Post
    Hello....and help! When importing 'Black & White (silhouette) Images', we get a recessed region around the image (see attached). When setting the depth to 0.00", the image becomes uncarveable. Please advise. Thanks a bunch in advance.
    You need to remove the background on the image, and save the file as a PNG format or the background will be added again.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

With the Pattern Editor it is a simple matter of using the 'Raise/Lower' filter to lower the pattern enough to get rid of the background. With a standard image editor you have a couple of options: if the background is a solid color you can select it as the transparent layer when saving as a PNG, otherwise you have to try and erase the whole background.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

4. Default

I use paint.net a free program. Open the picture in the program, use the magic wand located under tools. go to the background area and select the background. You may need to adjust the tolorance located on the tool bar to make sure you are selecting only the area you want. Hit the delete key. The area becomes checkerboarded and is now deleted. Use Gaussian blur located under effects and then blurs. set the blur to around 2 then apply. this will actually give you cleaner lines when you import into designer. Save the picture making sure it is saved as a png file (this is the default for the program). Then import it into designer. I don't have project editor yet so I do all my adjustments in paint.net but if you have it you can do some refinements there. Good luck!

Here's a sample -- using "paint.net" like mentioned it the other posts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carving from Black and White Silhouette with Back Ground Removed.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kenm810; 05-17-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added Carve Path Mpc File
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails