Thread: Text coming out horrible

Default Text coming out horrible

I have a A model with the QC chuck in it ( don't worry i have a rock chuck on the way) below are the MPC and the actual cut on the board, the star has a couple corners damaged on it, the raised text chipped away in several spots, the stock lion pattern is poor quality,and the handwriting text was unclear and chipped. Is this an issue that will be resolved with the Rock Chuck or are there any other factors need to consider?
    testing board.mpcClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0061.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	561.5 KB 
ID:	44495

Stephen "not so new guy"

First questions is do you have centerline, if so you did check centerline in your text box, outline is checked. And yes the quality will be much better with the rockchuck

I beleive you also had it set to normal in your upload, you could try best to see if that is more to your taste.
    Last edited by badger; 05-09-2011 at 05:02 PM.
    I'm a professional toothpick maker.
    TK Designs

Yeah i have centerline but does that do anything with raised text? im kind of new to some of designer's features...

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Sallen1215 View Post
    Yeah i have centerline but does that do anything with raised text? im kind of new to some of designer's features...

Stephen
    Centerline is for use with the "V" bits (mostly) to make a clean cut, following the center line of the text, in to the wood. raised text is made using the Carving bit, just like you use on patterns.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

I have a A model with the QC chuck in it ( don't worry i have a rock chuck on the way) below are the MPC and the actual cut on the board, the star has a couple corners damaged on it, the raised text chipped away in several spots, the stock lion pattern is poor quality,and the handwriting text was unclear and chipped. Is this an issue that will be resolved with the Rock Chuck or are there any other factors need to consider?

Stephen "not so new guy"
    Hello Stephen,

There are a couple things you will need to do/be aware of to avoid text chipping on raised letters like that...

- Try to use Bold Text on raised lettering when possible (which it looks like you did)

- "Sans-Serif" fonts (like Arial) are generally less prone to chipping than "Serif" fonts (like Times Roman)

- Use the "Height" box to input a value of less than the default "100" - that brings the raised text down - if it's "too high" from the background surface, the text will tend to chip. It's not uncommon to input a value of only 20 to 50 in order to lower the raised lettering where it won't be so prone to chipout. Experience over time will give you a "feel" of what you can get away with, as far as height setting for particular fonts and materials. For example, raised text on Red Oak is far more prone to chipping than the same on Hard Maple.

- Apply at least a "Small Draft", or better, a "Medium Draft" to your text. The Small Draft setting applies a 7 degree angle around the perimeter of each letter - this matches the angle of the 1/16" Carving Bit and allows it to "ramp" smoothly, rather than plunging abruptly alongside a straight vertical edge which almost guarantees chipping!

- For the highest quality result (and much less chipping tendency for raised lettering or any other "stand-alone" project element that is raised) choose the "OPTIMAL" setting when uploading your project to the memory card. The machining takes much longer on that setting, but is necessary for certain kinds of projects to come out the very best they can be.

Hope that helps you with your future projects.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 05-09-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

stephens test.mpc
    testing board.mpcClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0061.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	561.5 KB 
ID:	44495

Stephen "not so new guy"
    Let's dissect your MPC!
    1) Your top text test was a very iffy script font in Outline. I changed it to Edwardian font and applied Centerline, using the 60 degree V-bit. I, also set the text spacing to a (10). I never use zero spacing!
    2) Your raised text had no spacing and was set at a height of 600. I set the spacing to (10) and height to 100 and made it Merge additive. I also removed your feather.
    3) I enlarged your carve Area to include the Lion. I then set the merge to additive.

Remember that what you see on the screen give you a good idea how it will carve! Look at it from several angles to see what your depth and height settings are doing. If it looks bad on the screen, you know it will be worse in real life!
    AskBud
    stephens test.mpc
    Last edited by AskBud; 05-09-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: added MPC attachment
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Thanks everyone, i would prefer to have the text higher but i guess we do what we can do, i may have to take the outlines of the text on a larger scale and make a raster through cut on .75 board but you all have helped me tremendously.

Stephen

Depends on the Wood too.... I was using "D" Grade Clear Pine for my Accountability Board Handles and got really good results... Tried some local Clear Pine and got Chipping and even open end grain wicking of the paint when doing the letters. Switched back to the "D" Grade.... This batch still had the sticker on it and it comes form New Zealand... A hard pine.... That is a long way for lumber....

So regular pine with wide growth rings will chip out more... Oak or Maple not as much but the first thing I saw was no Draft... That really helps as said above...

With your 1/8 inch bit installed tug in 4 directions carefully and feel for QC Slop.... If you can feel it then the bit is rotating and swinging like a bat.... Hence your chipping...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks Al. I used box store clear pine for my test board. and I am coming to understand the need for the draft

Stephen