It's not all that bad, you can get started with slimline pens easy enough. You need a lathe, the grizzly sounds like a fine starter machine. A mandrill, grizzly appears to be a 3/4" 16 tpi which is common enough and what I have on my PSI lathe. That will set you back about $35 and will have a set of 7mm spacers already on it for your slimline pens. I would go ahead and spend about ten bucks on some spare 7mm bushings, you will go through them at first. You already have sand paper I'm sure, and probably have plenty of wood scrap to make pen blanks with to start out. I would get some micromesh, about $20 if you don't get the pad type. For a very easy finishing product to start with, get some shellawax, it does a fantastic job and holds up very well to use, will cost you about $35. For the pen kits, just get the ecoline pen kits. They are very cheap, about 2 bucks a pen, and honestly have held up as well for me as the more expensive slimline pen kits. That's pretty well it in a nutshell. From there you can just expand over time to make other pens and other items. I sell about 300 pens a year at $20-$80 each, so it can pay for itself in time, once you get good at it.....plus it's a great way to use up exotic wood scraps!