Thread: Deciding WHAT to carve.....

Default Deciding WHAT to carve.....

Still no machine yet (hopefully next week) but I've been playing with the software a TON..

The problem I'm having is, trying to figure out what to carve first ??

There's so may things that look good I can't seem to settle on any one design..

I've designed router bit holders, name plates, jigs, cabinet doors, etc... All look great on the computer, but changing them around looks good too... How do you guys ever decide on a "final cut" ??

Save all your work. 3 things- try your first projects on cheap wood, & use a smaller piece if you wish. The machine will prompt you to scale to width & length. Do them in draft mode. If it looks good, go to the final project on good wood. In time, you'll go straight from file to wood.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Keep it simple to start with too, don't go for your master piece right off or your bound to get frustrated. Their are to may things to learn to get a great result right off. What you see is mostly what you get but learning what setting to use and when to use them only comes with running the machine, the software alone can only teach you so much by itself.