Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: horrible accuracy issues + bit question

my sled seems very sturdy, and stays under both rollers at all times. it is a solid piece of 12x2x18 with a carved out region just a tad bigger than the boards i use to cut into (3.5x5.5x.25). the "breaking bits" part of it has nothing to do with the issue i am trying to resolve (precise and deliberate "notching" while cutting in y direction). i used the wrong bit for the job because i must be dyslexic (the machine asked for a carving bit and i inserted a cutting bit in it) hence it snapped.

Bud,
    That sounds like a compromise, i really would rather rout than carve as it takes less time. i need it to be the same size at the bottom as it is on top of the carve region hence the clean up rout. there is a reason why LHR sells the decorative bits for routing. if the machine cant handle routing, than its kind of useless to sell the routing bits and allow routing in the software can someone run one of these widgets in my MPC on their machine and tell me if the notching in the pictures (post #1) comes out on their machine as well? (bits needed 1/16 cutter and 1/16 carver)

Default Test-1

I've deleted the back carving, and set Max-Pass-Depths on the "Cutting Bit", and I'll set the card to Optimal.
    I've got to remove the QC adapter from my 1/16" cutting bit as I've never used it since I changed to the CT chuck. That will take a few minutes before I start my 1st test.
    I'll post, in about an hour.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

WOW for a first few posts looking at your reply to my suggestions I see you are really an Advanced User.... Way ahead of me....

From the post, you are doing all the right things from machine settings to use of tape and blocking on your sled.... WOW.... Good Job....

So if we take away the Software issues..... By doing a simple test.... Draw a rectangle the same size as your carve region and just assign a bit to it and a depth of .125 and let it make 1 pass around in hard wood and look at the results.... Do this without a sled.... This takes out the Software and the possible of the project shifting from side to side on the hot glue.... Not Likely but there is a big force at play as the machine pushes it's way through the wood.

If you still get the issues then we need to look at the Y gear box.

This will be an inspection and adjustment... Remove the right side panel to access spring loaded screw for the right side of return for the Y belt and remove the screw. Remove the screw on top of the belt return and cut motor.

With the belt loose grab the whole head and pull and bush looking for a loose bearing on the rails either Y or Z. Should have a solid feel.....

Next unplug the Y Motor and remove the whole assembly. Remove the back of the Y Motor Encoder and inspect for dust and that the clear disk is stuck to the motor shaft and is not free to spin.

Remove the clear plastic cover from the gearbox and the C Clip from the back of the big plastic gear. Remove the gear. Checking for side to side motion indicating bad bearings... In your case I would just plan to replace the 2 bearings 5 mm x 11 mm x 5 mm. The US part numbers are posted in a few threads. I bought a 10 pack for about $30.00 delivered. Clean and reassemble....

Inspect Y Belt and bracket holding the belt to the Y for snugness... I broke my first Y belt at about 1000 hours... Because the LHR Tech has the software to reset the hours counter on the machine, you could have a 1000 hour machine and not know it..... Like a Used Car Salesman resetting the Odometer on a car using a drill to run the counter backwards...... I am not so sure I like that ability used to make money off unsuspecting buyers.... IF that is what the LHR Tech did Moonlighting as a Referbisher.... Making money off of his knowledge and ability to set the counter's back.... There could be a Ethics Violation here..... Hours is Hours... Where did you buy it? eBay?

Call LHR with the Serial Number and ask the history of the machine.... See if that sheds any light on how old it was when reset.... IF it was..... What were the Hours when you got it..... EVERY machine I have ever heard of has had hours on it when arrived new from factory testing.... There was a Thread on it back in 2007.... My new machine had 11 hours when I got it.... If it had Zero Zero hours that is just wrong.... Call me the Ethics Police....

I have got some Swamp..... I mean Water Front Property for you in Flordia..... And this car was owned by a little old lady and Only driven to Church on Sunday and the Grocery Store once a month.....

Let us know...

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 04-28-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default Test-1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jerry0003.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	418.9 KB 
ID:	44048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jerry0008.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	431.5 KB 
ID:	44047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jerry0002.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	420.5 KB 
ID:	44046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jerry0001.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	427.3 KB 
ID:	44045TEST-1
    OK, as I stated earlier, I modified the Max-Pass-Depth and set to Optimal when loading the card.
    I see no problems, and I stopped after the unit finished the 1st outer cut-out (no need to test further.

Once you do the same, you should be home free (OR follow Al's advice on more testing and repair of the machine. I presume that you have no wiggle, in any direction, of the truck or chuck) and that your wood is secure.

If you look at your set of pictures the imperfection is the same on each piece, albeit a mirror. In my pics you see no flaw. Sorry for the quality of the pics, I guess my photo ability need some practice on close-ups!
    AskBud
    Last edited by AskBud; 04-28-2011 at 03:49 PM.
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

thanks for all your help, i will try running the MPC through the machine again per Al's and Bud's suggestions and get back to you all. if that fails im going to dig into the machine over the weekend and see what it all looks like in there. Bud, your pictures are a little bit blurry, hence its a little hard to tell, but are all the interior rounded 90 degree turns (corners) the same diameter? thanks!

the sled and your layout are not the same. The CW will cut precise but you will need to make a good sled and follow some simple logic. let me know down the road it you can't make your system work.

If you look at your set of pictures
    I can not see anything but soft blurs.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 04-28-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryherb View Post
    thanks for all your help, i will try running the MPC through the machine again per Al's and Bud's suggestions and get back to you all. if that fails im going to dig into the machine over the weekend and see what it all looks like in there. Bud, your pictures are a little bit blurry, hence its a little hard to tell, but are all the interior rounded 90 degree turns (corners) the same diameter? thanks!
    YES! All interior corners and edges are equal. There are no bumps on any edge.
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    ... Sorry for the quality of the pics, I guess my photo ability need some practice on close-ups!
    AskBud
    Hi Bud,

You may want to check to see if your camera has a Macro feature. Most do, nowdays.

Mine has two Macro settings...one for so-called "closeups" that yields sharp focus for between about one to three or four feet away (that's the setting I use for taking pics of boards for my tutorials - although I don't think it's a true "macro", but that's what the camera menu calls it). Then it has another Macro setting for really close-up pics about an inch to several inches away (what I call a "true" macro setting). Funny, you have the opposite problem from my own...I often forget to disengage the macro setting when I'm taking "normal" pictures so I get out of focus results more than I should, too!

Frederick is the one to ask about photo taking tips, since he is the expert! He was kind enough to explain to me why many of my "close" photos had lens distortion and how to avoid or minimize it when using a "cheap" digital camera like mine!
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 04-28-2011 at 10:02 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default Macro shot - maybe

Let's see if this is better!
    AskBud
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jerry0009.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	431.0 KB 
ID:	44079