Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CarveWright vs. General's new I-Carve

Default CarveWright vs. General's new I-Carve

While awaiting a check to clear so that I can order my CW, I thought I'd share some info on a "competing" CNC, the General International I-Carve. It was suggested to me by one of their authorized dealers, who also handles CarveWrights, that General introduced this unit specifically to compete. In short...I don't see where it does.

The General unit does have a similar carving area, sort of (15 x 20 x 4 1/2"). Since it's a traditional fixed bed, moving gantry style design, its X axis travel is limited. While this can probably be readily over come by registering and feeding through a work piece over 20" in length, it also adds another dimension of aggravation and potential for foul ups.

There's mention in their tout that the I-Carve stepper motors rival the performance of servos, which is what CW uses. Nuff said?

Bit changes are pretty traditional, which is to say that it requires a wrench, and collets that aren't kept clean will stick. This is much fun when everything gets good and warm and you don't have time to waste.

All of their software is provided from a third party. The ICarve software is well distributed and supported, but it does open the door to the potential issue of getting bounced back and forth between vendors pointing fingers at each other when things run amuck.

Without delving into all of the particulars, their zeroing process looks a lot easier to screw up. This equals head crash...no joy.

There are innumerable pinch points on a moving gantry CNC, no matter the size. The CW is hands down a safer looking machine to operate, especially if you are standing or sitting in close proximity. With user adjustable feed rates and speeds, along with the need to clamp your work piece to the bed, there is much greater possibility for the open gantry to launch loosely held parts in practically any direction.

Having not used either software beyond the free tutorials and demo's this is not an absolute, but for a CNC novice like myself, the CW is head and shoulders above in terms of learning curve. I'll warrant that a newbie could probably complete their first CW carve before they figured out how to flatten the cut table on the I-Carve.

The CarveWright has a material measuring feature, whereas the I-Carve requires each parameter to be input by the user (garbage in - garbage out). Who's more likely to make a mistake here?

The CarveWright can support a very affordable scanning probe. While I'm sure that something could be acquired and adapted to the I-Carve, I'm equally certain that the price would exceed anything close to sensible.

Last but certainly not least is the issue of cost and value. The I-Carve is selling for $3,859.99 at WoodCraft. For that you get:
    - The gantry table with the stepper motors and a spindle (they actually listed these things as though you were getting something extra. It's a door stop without anyone of them.
    - Limited but functional software.
    - A warning not to even think about running it w/o dust collection (good advise for both).
    - No tooling.
    - You can call or email for support. Nobody at my local WoodCraft knows jack about either machine beyond what anyone can read off of the websites.

Now let's contrast that with the WC Ultimate system that I'll be buying:
    For a couple of hundred bucks less I get an Ultimate package with a full set of bits and cutters, all of the software available, a scanning probe and more software, a better interface, a safer machine, single point of contact support and of course, the relevance of this forum. For $500 more I can have a year of POM, specialty sign making software, spare bits and more.

My only question is, why would this be a difficult choice for anyone?

The major saving grace of the General's offering I suppose would be that if someone were interested in eventually moving on to a full sized CNC, this is a fairly reasonable way to get your feet wet working with G code.

And you get the forum (priceless)
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 04-26-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: changed form to forum.
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

BRAVO on your assesment of the "competition" machine! Insert any other CNC name in this and it is the same story. They are not anywhere near the capabilities or accessibility of the CarveWright system. The major proof to me is always what people do with their machines. Not one of these so called competitors has customers doing near the creative or quality things CarveWright customers do. This is the message that us CarveWright users should be telling everyone!

I would like to add my 2 cents worth. I have had my carvewright for about to months now so 2 cents is all my opinion may be worth. As I said, I have had my CW for 2 months now and I love it. However, I have had another cnc, Zenbot 12x16 for over a year now and I love it also. They are both great machines. They both have their own special features. I like the CW for its built in features, the ability to cut larger pieces, makes 2 sided projects very easy. The zenbot is limited in material size unless you want to tile the toolpath. With the Zenbot, you can change the carving direction, use a rough cut, change cutting speeds. Some materials get a lot nicer carve if you cut with the grain. These are both great machines. They both have special features, and they both have limitations. Can one totaly replace the other? No. As far as I am concerned they will both always have a place in my little garage shop.
    Last edited by mwhatch; 05-01-2011 at 03:36 PM.
    Morton

And on that "Forum" note...I just cruised through the 'Shark' forum. Wow what a difference a URL makes. Not tryin' to dis' anybody's preference (the Shark is a good bit more dough and a larger machine - although sans spindle), but it does make me feel better about the CW. Reading a good number of posts there it seems clear that a lot of folks spend a lot of time getting frustrated with their machine rather than carving with it. Looking at the recommended upgrades (limit switches, etc.) it sounds like less and less of a value, and more and more a long term cure for low blood pressure. mwhatch's point is well taken, although I'm not at all familiar with his second machine, the CW ain't necessarily everybody's Swiss Army knife - but ya gotta start somewhere...so I think I'll start right here.

Yeah there was a fellow here a while back trashing the CW. You know the CW doesn't do this and it doesn't do that.... etc. etc. His chosen machine may or may not have been better but it cost considerably more than the CW. The biggest limitation that I've found to the CW is user's imagination.

I had some issues with my CW when we first got it. But with some minor repairs and the update to the Carvetight spindle it has become a wonderful tool to use.

Now if I could just find enough time to really get good with it and the software.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

I get to play with the software 8 hours a day, and I have been doing this going on 4 years. You would think that I am a master with the software, but I learn something new every day. I don't think that anyone would ever have enough time to master everything that the software is capable.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

Hey Guys, I know this is old but I have to say my piece. I've been very busy and haven't been around for a while, but when I got my CW, it was a reconditioned machine that the person I bought it from thought it was a belt sander! I had been looking on the net wishing I could own one of these machines and low and behold there it was for $75 and an ad in my magazine (like auto trader). I did some small carves when I got it home with problems because I didn't read the manual and didn't know of the website (which I still go back to the tips and tricks). Think GOD I found these guys on the forum to help me through all the problems I had because I had a machine I didn't know anything about. I opened my mouth and got a deal with a golf course in my area and ended up with a concract to do 32 signs for them. Of course the machine started giving me problems but with the help of the guys of this forum, I made the deadline and a little money. I'm not sure about the other machines and their help or blog, but with the CW, you have FRIENDS who help for no cost! Beat that with a wooden spoon! Now u can buy any CNC u want, but the CW with the backup of the guys and girls here is unbeatable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love to Make the sawdust, But I sure Hate to clean it up.
    U can't find Success unless you have the patience to hang around long enough to find it!!!!
    Website isn't carving related but a good place to buy a auto:
    www.hcautos.com

9. Default

Hi guys & gals, its been almost three yrs since i've seen my carvewright. i loaned it to a friend who had moved away, and when i ran into him a week ago he advased me that the machine had been stolen an he is going to turn a claim in for it and give me the money. my concerns are ( have the units evolved enough to invest into it again) had the typical issues in the begaining, and was able to work the problems out thanks to this forum group. any comments would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmiej480 View Post
    Hi guys & gals, its been almost three yrs since i've seen my carvewright. i loaned it to a friend who had moved away, and when i ran into him a week ago he advased me that the machine had been stolen an he is going to turn a claim in for it and give me the money. my concerns are ( have the units evolved enough to invest into it again) had the typical issues in the begaining, and was able to work the problems out thanks to this forum group. any comments would be appreciated.
    The machine has definately evolved and is much better now than it was 3 years ago. Mine is 3 yrs old and still runs well, but I made several modifications to it. I'm just kinda curious as to what your friend is going to give you for it... $75? If so, then I don't believe you'll find a machine for that price anytime soon. The machine is selling for $1600 new and maybe $800-$900 used and not sure if that would even be the latest model that is out there ("C").
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast