Thread: Depth problems

Default Depth problems

I'm using a sled and having problems getting the depth correct.

The overall thickness of the sled it 1.18.
    The thickness of the area the wood to be carved is .633
    The thickness of the wood to be carved is .320

That means the surface to be carved plus the area of the sled it is on is .953. Using a depth guage it is .227 lower then the top of the rails.

In the Project Designer I made a carve region at .227. not sure how but I was able to put a pattern I scanned in on the carve region till the highest part of the scan was even with the surface of the carve region. The scan is .210 thick.

First attempt at carving it I had to stop the machine, it was going completely through the wood and carving the sled.

Try again in the Project Designer and I can not get the depth of the pattern any lower then the surface of the wood.

The size of the wood I put in to Project Designer is the size of the sled including the height of the rails.

What am I doing wrong?
    thanks in advance

Tell him the thickness of the wood, not the total thickness. The machine will measure the thickness and verify the wood thickness - in your case 0.32. Press the green burron to accept that.
    Clint

That didn't work. When the CW touches the bit to the wood to find the surface, it is touching the rail of the sled, not the work surface. I tried it twice to make sure I didn't miss something in the menus (like telling it where to touch) but I didn't see anything like that.

Does it give you a choice for Thickness... Sled and Project Board are over 1 inch? Board or Project? Board = Thickness of Designer Board plus Sled. Project = thickness of Designer Board.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default Depth

Quote Originally Posted by vandel View Post
    I'm using a sled and having problems getting the depth correct.

The overall thickness of the sled it 1.18.
    The thickness of the area the wood to be carved is .633
    The thickness of the wood to be carved is .320

That means the surface to be carved plus the area of the sled it is on is .953. Using a depth guage it is .227 lower then the top of the rails.

In the Project Designer I made a carve region at .227. not sure how but I was able to put a pattern I scanned in on the carve region till the highest part of the scan was even with the surface of the carve region. The scan is .210 thick.

First attempt at carving it I had to stop the machine, it was going completely through the wood and carving the sled.

Try again in the Project Designer and I can not get the depth of the pattern any lower then the surface of the wood.

The size of the wood I put in to Project Designer is the size of the sled including the height of the rails.

What am I doing wrong?
    thanks in advance
    As I understand your problem, the top of your wood is .227 lower that your rails.
    Your actual wood is .320 thick, which makes the bottom of your wood .547.
    Your pattern has a depth of .210, which mean you must set the carve depth at .437.
    This should allow for the top of the pattern to be as high as possible using a height of 210 (matching the depth of the actual pattern).

Anything deeper than .547 will go through the actual board.

Your problems started when you decided to have your actual wood mounted lower than the rails of your sled. That is when you began to need to calculate.
    AskBud
    Last edited by AskBud; 04-26-2011 at 06:53 PM.
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Thanks AskBud,

I'm carving it right now and looks like it will be correct. I made the sled with higher rails because my source for wood does not always have the same size. I make custom wood gun grips and purchased the CW to cut down on the time it takes to carve the side that goes against the gun. By hand it's taking about 8 hours. The test carve I'm doing now said 28 minutes.

Thanks again,
    vandel

Nope that didn't work, it kept the highest part of the carve on the top of the wood but I think it distorted the depths. Not counting an outline, the measurements from the highest part to the depest part on what was carved is .239. On the scanned one it is .156 at the same spot. Then there is a middle part on the carving it is .039 lower then the highest point and on the scanned one it is .057.

CZ75B-1.mpcCZ75B-1.mpc

If I uploaded correctly I attached the project.

What am I doing wrong?

I think I got it figured out. I will post back when I'm sure. Thanks to everyone that helped