Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fair value of a used/broken unit

Default Fair value of a used/broken unit

I've been wondering what is a fair price of a used CW or one that needs repair. I looked at one that was listed on CL near me, the guy was asking $500. The top was jammed up, wires hanging out with a micro switch. The LCD just had blocks, I reseated the card and that didn't make a difference (learned that from the forum here), I didn't do any other troubleshooting as it was plain to see it was not cared for very well or the person he got it from couldn't get it back together right as there was a little bag with "extra" screws and a small circuit board. The guy was firm on the price and I see he sold it on ebay for $570...

So I guess what I am trying to find out more or less is what repair, replacement parts cost are. If the repair parts are inexpensive then maybe I could see 500, or are the part expensive and the $500 machines being bought for part? Is spending $500 too much to pay if I am planing on repairing it? Or should I just save a little more and get a new one?

2. Default

If I could afford it I would buy a new one. Truth is after stalking this forum for a few months I finally bought a slightly used one on ebay for $1000.00. It was a new version C with carvetight so I was really happy. Since then I have bought and sold a couple of them so I know If you look for a week or two you can find a good one that needs no work for $800 to $1000. Keep an eye out on this forum and watch ebay. when you search on ebay do several searches, carvewright, compucarve, and sears compucarve, craftsman compucarve. People who list under craftsman compucarve get found less on searches and therefore there machines go for less than those who list with all the key words. Yesterday I missed out on one that went for $670 although it had the Quick Change Chuck which is bad but the price was worth paying for the upgrade. The machine was like new with only 30 hours on it. I logged onto ebay about 15 minutes late to bid on it. I would have re sold it for a few hundred dollar profit. Take a few weeks, look for the right machine and buy it!

3. Default

I just sent you a private message with a machine you should look at. You will have to jump on it quick though. I didn't post it in forum because someone else would jump on it.

Quote Originally Posted by gregsolano View Post
    If I Keep an eye out on this forum and watch ebay. when you search on ebay do several searches, carvewright, compucarve, and sears compucarve, craftsman compucarve. ... Yesterday I missed out on one that went for $670 although it had the Quick Change Chuck which is bad but the price was worth paying for the upgrade. The machine was like new with only 30 hours on it. I logged onto ebay about 15 minutes late to bid on it.
    Thanks for info and the search tips! Yea I know the feeling of just missing a decent deal...

The head jammed up is usually that you need to turn the jacking screw to prime the jacking screw. It is in the manual and if they didn't read the manual, well... It is better they sell the machine and take the $1500. lesson.

The computer and Power Supply are the most expensive parts. It is unusual to have both of them go bad. It is usually something like a bad cable.... $500.00 is a good price for a broken machine.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 04-22-2011 at 08:43 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

WOW! This forum has changed SO MUCH it's hard for an old woodworker to find a place to say hello...LOL Hello everyone! I sure hope you're all making lots of sawdust and many neat projects! I miss you all very much and miss carving as well. But I have a couple days home time so I just wanted to say hello and wish everyone a very Happy Easter! God bless!
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Hi Chris!

Everytime I pass a semi (or one passes me!), I think of you - wondering if you're the one in the pilot seat!

I trust you are doing well and miss your tips, comments and good company here on the forum.

Happy Easter to you, too!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

8. Default

Chris! I hope all is well with you. It's been a long time. Happy Easter my friend.

Hi Chris,

As you noted the Forum has really grown in the last year or so, several new carvers, loads of updates
    and lots of new info and projects from both new comers and the old timers.
    We're Happy to see you stop by to say Hello, and look around. Your posts are still brought up
    now and then in forum searches, just to say and let you know your shared Humor and info
    is still much valued plus sorely missed.

Take Care and have a
    Good Holiday Weekend
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Hey Buddy Welcome Home !!!!!! Enjoy your time off !!!!

Miss you and your input.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast