Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting encounter with WoodCraft

Default Interesting encounter with WoodCraft

I'm a Festool addict...I admit it, and I should probably be in therapy or under a doctor's care for it but so far I've been able to avoid the 12 step program. WoodCraft happens to be my only local dealer, and I was needin' a particular accessory to finish a job (I'm just trying to rationalize my addiction here) so I darted in. As it happens I had recently decided to purchase a new CW and figured that I would buy it from them since it was their catalog that first made me aware of the product. When I mentioned this to the WoodCraft guy he was none too supportive of my decision.

First he suggested that I look at General's new CNC carver, that they appear to have scaled down from their larger format machines specifically to compete with the CW. His stated preference was for the General model. When I explained that I wasn't in the habit of spending that kind of dough without being able to kick the tires he informed me that they'd be more than willing to bring the General in for a test drive, but not the CW. He went into some rather vague diatribe about people preferring the General's software and more friendly attitude to foreign file formats (which may in fact all be true) but it was really the software that first attracted me to it so I was left a bit dismayed.

While they aren't ever going to compete with Sears or Lowes volume, they do have the perfect setting to demonstrate and do a more hands on, in your face presentment than the other retailers. A few days before I had been in for a fix (O.K. so I don't really think that I have a problem) and they had a guy turning a baseball bat on an older model digital lathe that they wanted to move. Low and behold...someone bought it the next day. Did I mention the guy was turning a baseball bat? Not exactly enthralling to watch...but that's all that was necessary to grab someone's attention and sell the machine. A rather singular purpose and over priced piece at that, IMNSHO. (I would gladly trade my lathe for a CNC anytime).

The reason that the CW wasn't going to be brought in was that they require a minimum order of three units, and the store didn't feel that there was enough interest from there stores to warrant the inventory investment. Anyway, they don't seem to grasp the concept of pile it high and watch it fly, not that I suppose I could blame them in this current race to the bottom "Recovery", but I really think that they're missing a great opportunity.

I'm kind of curious now about the General, even though I'm totally comfortable with my decision to go with the CW (didn't notice a General Tools of Canada forum...besides those darn Canadians are just like the ChiComs aren't they ...with all of that socialized medicine stuff)? I'm also not concerned about the file formatting issues 'cuz my son is fluent in all sorts of different computer languages and graphics programs, so I'm sure he'll be able to walk me through. Would be interesting to see a comparison. The Shop Bot thing was really kind of apples to snow shovels for me. As for the WoodCraft store's guidance, I'm less inclined to follow their advise mainly 'cuz I just accept that they point ya where they can make the best money for the least amount of effort. Besides, they're probably already convinced that I'm off my noodle 'cuz of my Festool... ahhh...issues.

Sounds to me like "Buy 3 or None from CW" policy is something that would shut down sales in most stores... A little Arm Twisting tactic there in marketing.... Not good for anyone... IF that is the case for real or the Salesman just has a bad attitude...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

A simple reply to point out that all Canadians have healthcare unlike the US where approximately 50 million folks don't. Unlike the "ChiComs" we voted to ensure that it stays that way.

I think it is just the general attitude with Woodcraft. Not long after the announced woodcraft was selling the machine I did a visit to our local store. They had a demo sitting on their bench in the training area. The store manager said they had it for about a month but had not done anything with it. I offered to help them give them some training but he quickly declined saying that he did not think anyone would be interested in running it and that any fool could run it as it just a dang wood printer and walked away.

A month or so later did another visit to the store, machine still on bench and never been ran............
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I've got the same thing here in KC - all really great guys, and all retired looking to do something part time during the day. What a better way to earn a few bucks - fool around in a Woodcraft store, and make a buck or two doing it.

Problem is, they're all "old dogs", and there's no teaching them anything.

BUT.........I see a tremendous avenue there for the new fangled sales rep program LHR is rolling out. If I had the time, the first thing I would do is hook up with WC, and set up a demo for a few Saturdays in their workshop out back. Not only would I make a few bucks, but they'd learn about the CW at the same time.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Sounds to me like "Buy 3 or None from CW" policy is something that would shut down sales in most stores... A little Arm Twisting tactic there in marketing.... Not good for anyone... IF that is the case for real or the Salesman just has a bad attitude...

AL
    The deal was "buy 3 get free shipping"!!! Salesman was wrong!

We would rather have folks that know what they are doing demo the machines anyway.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

7. Default

Sorry but anyone in business knows that in order to buy wholesale you have to buy in volume. Otherwise we would all call our selves Woodcraft and buy stuff at wholesale. Purchasing several makes you a dealer and not just someone looking for a cheap deal. Now if you are dealing with $10,000 tools you get the manufacturer to floor one or two for you. Purchasing two or three is not unusual. It's business.

That is a real shame the sales guy was like that. I'd take the extra drive and go to sears where you can get better warrenty.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Quote Originally Posted by ntdiver View Post
    A simple reply to point out that all Canadians have healthcare unlike the US where approximately 50 million folks don't. Unlike the "ChiComs" we voted to ensure that it stays that way.
    Not pokin' fun at people that play with brooms and big rocks on icy ponds. I actually envy Canada for being smart enough to realize that making millions for insurance companies was a waste of national wealth AND implementing the austerity programs necessary to be able to responsibly afford to cover everybody. What a bizarrely rational approach. So I'll bet our National Debt can squash yours....nany nany pooh pooh.
    BTW, until I got sucked in by the damn Olympics I was convinced that there was something strange in your LaBatts that made the aforementioned such an attractive sport to ya'll. Two hours later I was really pissed when they left the coverage to go to some silly ski thing.

My ChiCom reference is also meant tongue in cheek since I grew up in a world where they were one of the last great boogiemen, and were always referred to as Communist China, till we became "Progressive"...and now they and the Fed hold the mortgage. I guess they finally won huh? Got a riddle for ya.

How many Federal Reserve notes can ya get for a Canadian dollar...today?

I can also remember when the border States used to poke fun at your currency. Bet they're happy it's so close now.

Spoke with Lynn about that. We can't get from Sears here any longer, not that it matters. Even with the charge for the extra warranty I still end up with a better deal direct...and best of all, no contribution to the black hole that is my State's general "revenue" blow money. They're like tryin' to ween a crack head off'a da rock.

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    That is a real shame the sales guy was like that. I'd take the extra drive and go to sears where you can get better warrenty.

CJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast