Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hot flex shaft

Default hot flex shaft

I have only 5 or 6 hours on my machine. The flex shaft gets so hot you can't hold it with your hand. It has been this way since the beginning. I have taken the shaft out twice and lubricated it with Liquid Wrench with silicon. I had an hour and 45 min. carve and it was hot hot. Can someone please help? Thanks, Buck

2. Default

Try Liquid Wrench improved formula chain lube work it into the shaft spring then wipe off, They have recently chaged the can, it should be black, I know Tractor Supply carries it and sometimes Auto Zone or Advanced Auto.

Quote Originally Posted by captbuck View Post
    I have only 5 or 6 hours on my machine. The flex shaft gets so hot you can't hold it with your hand. It has been this way since the beginning. I have taken the shaft out twice and lubricated it with Liquid Wrench with silicon. I had an hour and 45 min. carve and it was hot hot. Can someone please help? Thanks, Buck
    Your problem is the wrong lube type. You should be using the chain lube with molly not silicon..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Here is what I used. Got it at Advance Auto.

Sprayed mine real good,
    Then placed in a zip-lock bag and sprayed again.
    I let it sit for a hour or so
    Than I hung it up overnight and let it dried.
    Ran a 4 hour cut and never got real hot, just warm

Thank you gentlemen for the info. I went to Tractor Supply and picked up a can and also a can of white lithium grease for the threaded rods

Another thing that you will want to watch out for is overlubricating the flex shaft. If you over lubricate and do not get all the excess off the shaft, it is going to drip down into the bearing in your z truck/spindle area, resulting in damage.

The method that jaustin listed is a great method, as it gives the shaft a chance to dry some. There is still some lubricant left inside the shaft, as the moly penetrates the coils, but it is not going to be enough to cause a problem.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

I've been using the Liquid wrench with moly and don't have any problems. Another thing I've been doing is using cam break in lube. I put a drop on the table and dip my finger in it and then rub it on the shaft. My temperatures usually are around 80 deg.

I use Gunk chain lube with moly to lubricate the flex shaft. (See the post in Preventative Maintenance.) I have 500 hours on my flex shaft and it has never been hot.

Yep, the Chain lube with molly is the only way to go, no others....

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

I use Gunk chain lube with moly to lubricate the flex shaft. (See the post in Preventative Maintenance.) I have 500 hours on my flex shaft and it has never been hot.
    BINGO, it is the only way to go!
    Using 1.178

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast