Thread: How to bend a project/pattern

Default How to bend a project/pattern

Gents (Ike),
    Have been making moulding (same pattern as need to bend) for house. Now I want to
    put over an arched window. The moulding would be approximatly 2 1/2" wide X 24" long and 3/4" thick and the arch is about 2 1/2" at center. Is there a way to make a pattern bend/arch on the carvewright software? and if not, can someone do this? The patten is not mine but is basically a grape leave vine.

Dave

P.S. Ike I never made it to Susanville, went east to work on some engines. Don't know how to contact you.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    ...Is there a way to make a pattern bend/arch on the carvewright software? and if not, can someone do this? The patten is not mine but is basically a grape leave vine.

Dave
    Hello Dave,

No, Designer does not have a way to "bend" patterns. You will need some type of 3rd-party software to do that.

Just as an example, I use Aspire software. With Aspire, you can take a straight/linear design and create an arched version from that using its "smart" distort features. Simply draw an arc (or actually any curve you want), then select the linear model to make it follow the arc exactly. Surprisingly, the linear model follows the arc quite nicely and is not the same as distort features in photo editing programs and the like (which often distort the model in undesireable ways).

I'm sorry I cannot help you with creating your molding at this time (way too much on my plate right now, as it is). However, you may want to check out the following 7 minute video which shows several examples of how the distort tool is used. At least you will see how it's done! Towards the latter half of the video is an excellent example of how to create an arched molding very similar to what you are asking about. Here's the link: http://www.vectric.org/video/aspire3...nents-web.html
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Then there is thinking outside the box..... On a suitable Wood Board 13.5 wide draw a 24 and 26 inch Circle. Make miniature patterns and place them in the half round circle.... Or make lines and vectors to simulate the pattern..... You could get creative and make a half circle and do this with a Cut Path....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Then there is thinking outside the box..... On a suitable Wood Board 13.5 wide draw a 24 and 26 inch Circle. Make miniature patterns and place them in the half round circle.... Or make lines and vectors to simulate the pattern..... You could get creative and make a half circle and do this with a Cut Path....

AL
    Yes - might even make a simple "line" pattern into a font and use the text arc tool (wouldn't work for true relief patterns, though).
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Hey AL, I just called you and got a "robot" voice! Figured you were up and about - I'm up 'til midnight (at least) - running the prototype for the May POM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Al,
    Thanks for the idea, I made my arc (it is 24" long by 2.5" and from center to outside edge is 3" drop) and then used my pattern as you suggested miniature/smaller
    laid end to end at various degree's it looks pretty good.

Thanks,
    Dave

Yes, Pictures when done please....

I need to fix my Answering Machine... It defaulted to the Sony Robot...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com