Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transferring my Favorites.mpn from one computer to another

Default Transferring my Favorites.mpn from one computer to another

I know how to get them from one computer to another, my real question is this:

If my Favorites.mpn file in computer one has 50 patterns in it, and my Favorites.mpn file in my second computer has 100 patterns in it (but 75 of them are different from those in computer 1), if I copy the file from computer 2 and paste it into computer 1, will the copy function erase those patterns in computer 1, or will it only transfer the patterns computer one doesn't have?

Windows will ask you if you want to replace files in a folder when moving them, but I don't know about this format.

Like most of us, I work on two computers, and keeping both computers identically updated with pattern files, etc. is a pain.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Jerry, copying the file will overwrite the file. Thus copy from pc1 to pc2. Pc2 will have the same data in the file as pc1 has. It does not add to the file only those that do not exist.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

But it could over write a older copy and delete the latest..... You almost need to move the latest file from each computer to a new directory then transfer them to both computers... Another way is to rename each file today on one computer with todays date on the end of the file name. Then rename the other computer files with tomorrows date. That way both files transfer to both computers and you don't loose any updates... It will double your file number but the date is the key and you could later delete them....

What I do is in my "My Documents" I have a CarveWright Directory and all my art is there including all my Corel and Pictures... I do backups to 2 different USB Drives once a week.... That might help you move files around....

This is a backup computer and I still have not gone through the long process of re leading every pay pattern into my designer... And the many free patterns.... The pattern License shows up in my Account but I still need to re load them..... Then there is the missing FONTS.... on this backup computer..... I open a CW Sign from last year and get a warning..... Need to load that Font....

Puters.....

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 04-14-2011 at 06:11 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

There are free tools to keep two computers in sync. I used to use Microsoft Windows Live to do this at remote locations, but one of my PCs runs XP and Microsoft dropped support for XP. So now I'm using a free Microsoft tool called SyncToy to sync my two computers on the same home network. Not only does it keep both computers in sync, but it provides a backup if I screw one computer up. I don't sync everything; just selective stuff like photos and CarveWright stuff, so it is fairly efficient. You might want to check this out. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...5-98d0592d8c52

Hi DickB

Is it possible to do this over a wireless network or does it have to hardwire?

Thanks
    Jim
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

6. Default

I'm not sure sync software can open and add or subtrack from an MPN. But you should be able to rename the MPN you want to move. Then open the computer with both MPN's. Move all of the patterns in MPN #1 to MPN #2 in Designer, then delete MPN #1 then copy the updated MPN to the other computer. ??
    Last edited by TerryT; 04-14-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Works over wireless.

if you sync before you open work on the 2nd computer, it's all good.

Be carefull with sync, for if sync'ing from pc1 to pc2, it will overwrite the files on pc2 with the same file from pc1. Thus favorites.mpn will be the same on both after the sync. Most of the time this is what you want to do, and some sync software will determine which is newest and ask which one to use for the sync. Thus you then get a two way sync. Also another watch out is if you have a file on pc1, and pc2, and you delete the file on pc1 (master sync pc) it may delete the file on pc2 when you sync.

Best way to do this is back it up to a flash drive or external usb hard drive. Open source backup software called cobain ver 8, is great for backup software. just uncheck the check box for updates, for the newer version are not free.

Terry I was not aware you could open two mpn files. I have always just built a new one saving the old mpn under a new name for later use, then load back in the patterns I want in the new favorite.mpn.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    Terry I was not aware you could open two mpn files.
    Yep, ya can. If you do a search you will find posts about folks who end up with two or three "Favorites".

On my machine......
    C:\users\Terence (thats me)\carvewright\ I have "favorites.mpn" and "2809.MPN" These show up in designer as "Favorites" and "Arrowheadamimals". You should really buy the arrowhead animals collection in the Carvewright pattern depot!! LOL. Anyway.... I can move patterns from the arrowheadanimals to my Favorites. I just discovered I can't go from Favorites to arrowheadanimals though.
    Last edited by TerryT; 04-15-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Thanks Terry I will have to give that a try.

Eddie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast