Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spindle Puller

I see. I thought we were pressing it out of the casting. I didn't realize that it is press fitted to the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
    The center race is what is actually holding onto the shaft, the outer race is just riding around the outside on the actual ball bearings inside. If you beat on the outer race you are putting shock and force on the balls and the tracks they ride in. This can put little dents in the track or "race" which then interfere with the function of the bearing. Smooth road vs. bumpy road, one is better for your car, one isn't....

I hope that makes sense! <smile>
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

I love it Gentlemen,
    We are coming together to YES. Much clearer now.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bruce View Post
    I love it Gentlemen,
    We are coming together to YES. Much clearer now.
    Just give me my Crescent Hammer and Screw Chisel ....and some masking tape and I can fix anything...

If you are removing the bearings to replace them that is one thing and somewhat destructive means can be used like the sliding sledge hammer.... If you are re using or inserting bearings than the Press is the best option.... I am suggesting the Sliding Sledge for not using them again....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by jaroot View Post
    I see. I thought we were pressing it out of the casting. I didn't realize that it is press fitted to the shaft.
    Good point! It depends on which race is press-fit that you are trying to remove. I made an assumption based on the picture of the bottom bearing still on the shaft. In any situation when trying to remove a bearing, you should be sure to put the pressure on the race that is locked in, or on.
    ROCKin' with my Dust Collector - Get the mpc here
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ve-it-yourself

Hmmmm !!!! interesting....
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Is there anybody out there who has tried the puller and can report on how it works? Is this forum all talk and no action? Come on, someone must have an old machine or truck with bad bearings which needs the spindle pulled.

I replaced the spindle bearing without any kind of puller. I just removed the truck from the machine ,removed the retaining clip on top of the shaft, and tapped the shaft out with a dowel rod and hammer. It came out a lot easier than expected.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

I just bought a second hand B machine and finally got a chance to try my spindle puller on a virgin spindle. It worked like a charm and that spindle was tight. The top bearing seems undamaged. It would not have survived the pounding that it would have taken to punch this spindle out. Now that the spindle is out, the QC can be removed from the spindle using a vise and a wrench. I am replacing the spindle with an ER spindle and care not about the QC and old spindle. I think, however, that this is a safer and better method of removing an old QC than the earlier heat method. For those of you who are replacing a lock tited QC or installing the Rock chuck, I recommend making this simple puller. It is also useful if you want to change the spindle bearings!

Anyway, this was an old post of mine and I just wanted to report that the thing really does work!

Fine work as usual !!
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

I really injoyed reading this thread...Thanks bergerud for starting it and finishing it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast