Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Make Your Own ER11 Spindle

Those are the screws for the z truck bearings aren't they? The ones in my machine are metric.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Jeff,

Well that was an education.... Visiting Jeff's site....

I had known about the LCD Kit's but not the Screws.... And I thought the screws were metric.... Learn something new every day....
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

I am sorry Jeff if I have got you wrong. Your post, however, did come across as negative. Think in context of the average member reading through the thread and considering making himself such a spindle. Then he comes to your post, a post by one of the authorities of the forum. The post gives no merit to the idea and implies that much more expensive parts would be required to make the refit worthwhile. The novice reading this post would certainly be discouraged thinking he has to buy ceramic bearings. (I still cannot believe you said that!) Please reread your post and try and see how someone else might see it as a tear down.

Again, I am sorry if your motives were pure as you say. In that case my "personal attacks" were certainly uncalled for. I have a tendency to overreact against authority.

now that we all cool, can we get back to instruction how one could rebuild and repair or this post is not very informative. I tired to remove the spindle but i was afraid that i would damage the castings. do I hammer out the bearing? or just press it from the top or bottom.. anyone?

I have a tendency to overreact against authority.
    Don't worry, I have NONE

Those are the screws for the z truck bearings aren't they? The ones in my
    machine are metric.
    Yes, we are talking about the screws the go through the center of the Z-truck bearings. Unless the have recently switched they are just SAE screws. I used nylocs on my machine the last time I put it back together to avoid the issues with using threadlocker and offered sets of them to make it easier for others to do the same.

do I hammer out the bearing? or just press it from the top or bottom..
    anyone?
    DO NOT use a hammer. You press the spindle shaft out from the top. Then you can press the lower bearing off the shaft. When reassembling things it is really wise to replace the tolerance rings (wavy pieces of metal around the bearings.) If you don't keep everything square you can have an issue with the ring popping back out while in use. It is not a hard job, but it does require some care.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    Yes, we are talking about the screws the go through the center of the Z-truck bearings. Unless the have recently switched they are just SAE screws. I used nylocs on my machine the last time I put it back together to avoid the issues with using threadlocker and offered sets of them to make it easier for others to do the same.
    Let me rephrase that, "I used metric screws in mine." I simple took the ones that I removed to HD and found Allen Head screws that matched and they happened to be metric. My machine is not new but the most recent truck is a Carvetight but I used the screws in the bearings for it as well as the prior install of my first replacement z truck.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

I think I opened a can of worms.... I think they are metric.... LYNN..... A little help......

Calling LYNN...... Forum to LYNN.... 2 to beam up..... LOL...

AL

Ok... Called Hardware Suppport Robert and they are Metric.... sorry.....
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 04-11-2011 at 11:52 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Whoa...Hi Al!

OK...printing and delivering message! Stand by!
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    I think I opened a can of worms.... I think they are metric.... LYNN..... A little help......

Calling LYNN...... Forum to LYNN.... 2 to beam up..... LOL...

AL

Ok... Called Hardware Suppport Robert and they are Metric.... sorry.....
    Ha ! Reminded me of what someone sent me once about "beaming up"... "Scotty!, that's not funny, now beam down my pants!"
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

I think I opened a can of worms.... I think they are metric
    Well, color me confused. I looked the screws up in the new parts manual and it says they are a M5x0.8x14mm. With a 0.8mm pitch that would be about 20 threads per inch. The screws I have been using/selling are in fact 10-32x3/4". The major diameter of an M5 and 10-32 is very close but the pitch is WAY off so there is no way that you could thread a 10-32 in place of a M5.

I'll have to give CW a call and find out if this has been changed recently (though my 2007 parts manual says they are metric as well.)
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

In all fairness... Lets review some of AL Who's Biggest CW Blunders....

First.... I had traced the circuits on the X Termination and with it feeding the X Drive Motor and the fact that that board had 115 Volts AC on it and this big Transistor... Q1.... I Assumed that because of the Board Weight.... The X Drive MUST be a 115 Volts AC Heavy Motor....

Can we say WRONG...... early Picture to prove me WRONG.... The 115 Volts AC and Q1 Transistor are for turning on and off the Cut Motor.... Give me a DAaaaa...... I was not corrected for at least a YEAR..... During a phone call to LHR I asked and the Engineer said it was all SERVO Motors.... All the same size.... Just more Reduction Gears for the Troque....

Second.... I posted the pictures of the new Z Bundle with the old cable marked 16 pin and posted that picture was re posted over a year before someone said... You know AL.... The old one is a 18 pin cable..... Give me another DAaaaaa.....

Third.... The first time I had a Y Gear Box Bearing Failure I failed to clean the dirt off the 2 bearings and since my Big Gear Shaft was worn Thin I ASSUMED that there were BABBITT SLEEVE BEARINGS in that Gear Box.... I even posted for more than a year.... Lube the back of the Y Gear box where the C Clip is to help prevent wear to the Sleeve Babbitt Bearing.... Imagine my shock when someone posted the gear box and the 2 bearings removed from it.... He too had a worn shaft... BUT BEARINGS.... I had the old Gear Box in my Desk Drawer from taking pictures of it.... I wiped the dirt and there was 2 bearings...... Can we have another big DAaaaaaaaaa...........

I will stop there.... I know that there are MORE......

Quantity... Quanity..... I post tons of posts to increase my chances of posting the correct answer once in a while.....

Even the "Chief" can be WRONG..... As in Navy Chief.....

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03675_WEB.jpg   DSC06680_WEB.jpg   DSC06539_WEB.jpg   DSC06540_WEB.jpg  

DSC09643_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast