Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Make Your Own ER11 Spindle

OK, let me be waste everyone's time and explain why I got upset with the post from Jeff. The main purpose of my post was to show the members what I found is a cheap and better alternative to any of the chucks we have been using. Jeff took quotations from my post and used them out of context to put a negative spin on my low cost spindle idea. He used cheap Chinese spindle to mean garbage with excessive run out worse than the QC. He then, quoting that since my bearings were not ceramic, that the project was not really worth it. I think both of these statements are malicious and untrue. I would have been ok with this if Jeff had come back to continued a positive discussion. When he did not reply, It seemed to me he was just trying to end the thread.

The China spindles are precision ground hardened steel. I will bet that 95% of the reputable American spindles are also made in China. The ebay spindle for $25 is probably the same as the American one for $60.

To my knowledge, all of the Carvewright machines have steel bearings. They easily last if they are set up right with a slight side load between them. I do not know if Carvewright has ever used ceramic bearings. My guess is that they have not, and, that makes the need for ceramic bearings a red herring in this thread.

If I had mistakenly offended a member on the forum, I would apologize - not try and defend myself by further quoting and attacking the member as being unreasonable. (Even if true!)

If I was a moderator who has a company selling carving bits in competition with LHR yet I was able to advertise my company on the forum, and further, my company also sells an ER16 collet holder which is “compatible with the Carvetight”, I would be careful not to appear biased.

In a post some time ago, I was trying to explain how take the QC completely a part and how I thought it actually worked. I was explaining the function of the two half rings which fly out against the taper of the outer sleeve and force the sleeve down. This action holds the adapter tight. In the case of a low rpm stall the fly rings do not work and, the carving bit with its downward pulling helix can yank the adapter right out.
    Jeff replied that it was simply the balls that hold the adapter in. He implied that my whole description was garbage. How far is a post going to go after a moderator slams it. I over reacted then as I have now.

Ben Coleman Guest

bergerud, I do not own a machine at this time but have been thinking about buying one. You seemed to have a positive idea and want to move forward. Would like to speak with you on the phone or contact by email. Ben Coleman 303-263-3027 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 303-263-3027 end_of_the_skype_highlighting <trapezebc@yahoo.com> Had left5 my info the other day but it did not reach you.. Will try again.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    EDITED VERSION BY AL OK,

To my knowledge, all of the Carvewright machines have steel bearings. They easily last if they are set up right with a slight side load between them. I do not know if Carvewright has ever used ceramic bearings. My guess is that they have not, and, that makes the need for ceramic bearings a red herring in this thread.

In a post some time ago, I was trying to explain how take the QC completely a part and how I thought it actually worked. I was explaining the function of the two half rings which fly out against the taper of the outer sleeve and force the sleeve down. This action holds the adapter tight. In the case of a low rpm stall the fly rings do not work and, the carving bit with its downward pulling helix can yank the adapter right out.
    Jeff replied that it was simply the balls that hold the adapter in. He implied that my whole description was garbage. How far is a post going to go after a moderator slams it. I over reacted then as I have now.
    Lynn,

A little help here..... Can you print this for the Engineering Hardware guys and get us feedback about 1. Ceramic Spindle Bearings YES OR NO and 2. This Fly Ring Theory about the operation of the old QC... I have never heard of it and I am not ready to push the "I believe that" button yet... The QC was designed by NASA Engineers and this "Spinning Theory" will hold the bit tighter is interesting.... I had it that it was all "springs" and nothing to do with the spinning...

Thanks Lynn.....

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 04-10-2011 at 08:20 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Anything that would allow me to be more flexible and economic in the running of the machine with as good or better quality gets my vote.

I had it that it was all "springs" and nothing to do with the spinning...

Hi Al,

I have a few friends that work at JPL that sent me this image recently taken of astropd b1749. It's called a Newtonian CW Asteroid wave dynamic. or CWAWD for short. thankfully the odd objects have almost out lived their life span and CT energy will make a more stable gravity field. I keep you updated when i get more information.

Last edited by liquidguitars; 04-10-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Bergerud, I'm not sure why you insist on reading motives into my comments that were certainly not intended. I implied nothing negative about your modification and was only offering advice based on my experience. I have already recounted my comments on bearings were based on experience, with the information about the bearing composition coming from one of the CW engineers.

This forum exists to allow all of use CarveWright owners to share and build on each others ideas, not tear each other down. You have repeatedly attacked me personally and I have done no such disservice to you. If you have a personal grief with me than contact me directly and lets just have a polite conversation. I bet if we were able to have a cup of coffee the animosity would melt away.

If I was a moderator who has a company selling carving bits in competition
    with LHR yet I was able to advertise my company on the forum, and further, my
    company also sells an ER16 collet holder which is “compatible with the
    Carvetight”, I would be careful not to appear biased.
    I do run a web based company and sell all sorts of desktop sized CNC related things. Some of the items can be used on a CarveWright most of them cannot. I would guess that 99.5% of my sales are things completly unrelated to CarveWright. Since I rarely mention the fact on here, other then a link in my signature, I suspect most folks were unanware of my company until you brought it up.

The item you are referring above to is a 1/2" shank ER16 collet chuck from PreciseBits, designed to let folks who use router motors that accept a 1/2" shank tool to use ER16 collets (so you hcan hold a larger variety of tools.) Mostly this type of router motor is used by folks with small to medium sized router tables.

The text of that page is taken from the manufacture's description. You could use it with a CarveWright for some bits but you have to cut a bit off the shank to do so. I don't know of anyone using one of these chucks in a CarveWright though. So, in short it is completely unrelated to what you are describing, it does NOT replace the CarveWright spindle like you modification did, NOR was I referring to it in any way.

I have an ER11 collet chuck with a 1/2" shank that I have been using for a few years now. Originally I tried it in the Quick change but the tolerance stack up led to a lot of run-out. After switching over the the CarveTight I like it a lot better. Still it is an 'add on' to the existing chuck not a conversion like you did. But it does give me a way to experiment with different bits.

The largest CarveWright specific item as far as recent sales go is the Nyloc Z-truck screws, of which I have sold perhaps a dozen sets, not likely to retire on that income. I don't sell them because I make a lot of money from them but because it was something that made life easier for me so I offered them to make life a bit easier for other folks too.

I also designed the backlit LCD screen for the CarveWright about three years ago and have sold perhaps 2 dozen of those, again I have covered my cost on them but not really made much. It was another item that solved a need I had and since the design was done why not offer it to others?

I volunteered as a moderator at a time when there was a big spam problem. Now that the forum software has improved there is not much to do really. There are perhaps only 1-2 spam reports every few weeks. Other than that I just read and enjoy the forum like everyone else.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

LG,

After watching the 2005 War of the Worlds last night for the first time complete and seeing the CW QC Asteroid WOW..... Great Photo Shop work....

Reminds me of the time the V60 QC Bit ejected and hit the plastic cover hard enough to lift it and stop the machine... Later found in in the bottom of the machine.... Keypad side.

Thanks,

AL

Jeff,

Well that was an education.... Visiting Jeff's site....

I had known about the LCD Kit's but not the Screws.... And I thought the screws were metric.... Learn something new every day....

The ER-11 info was an education....

Thanks,

AL

I have expanded my wish list.... 3 LCD's.... Lots of Screws....
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 04-11-2011 at 12:11 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

I had known about the LCD Kit's
    I have one on one of my machines from Jeff and really dig it.

Yes, it will lend well to the Wired Shop.... A CCTV Camera on the machine in a few places.... also able to read the display from the Laser shop or Kitchen... With a Remote kill (Cover Switch) switch at my computer while I listen and watch it carve in the comfort of the laser shop.

I already have the I Switch to turn off the Dust Collector when the machine goes off...

And a wired Smoke Detector with Relay that trips the Remote Kill Switch stopping the machine too....

Cool....

AL

1:14 AM Quitting time...
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 04-11-2011 at 12:17 AM.

question how do i remove a old spindle is it pressed out from the top or bottom? just asking..

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast