Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Make Your Own ER11 Spindle

A square 1/8 inch file and about an hour. I made a file handle that slides in the collet to keep it sort of straight. (I have a thread on the details of converting an ER spindle.)

Hey Dan,,, Wuts U been upto ??? Still waiting for my China Spindle.... Got the collets already from SHARS,,, Just waitin and waitin and waitin for that spindle... Me, I just finished a sign for a Cardiolist group.... Today I got an order for a similar sign for a Pulmonary Group... Now where's my SPINDLE ???
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

I am still working on the new dust collector which uses the cut motor fan. Testing today. (I have a new ER16M spindle from Maritool yet to turn after I finish the dust collector.) Good luck with the huge ER20 when it comes. I hope to see a picture of that on the machine.

Hey Dan,,, Got my ER20... I took my time cutting it, my lathe is a 1942 model atlas,, so it doesn't have any measuring marks, all by eye and Micrometer, so it took 2 dayz, that sucker was big... top through whole was big so I after cutting, I threaded it, screwed in a bolt then cut and drilled through it.. Been filing the square hole for 2 dayzzz now,, starts movin along once UR able to work the hole file in the opening.. Almost there, maybe a test run tomorrow if I don't go golfing,, suppose to rain so we'll see... well anyway fingers crossed, seemed to be running true when I put a dial indicator on to check,, but the proof will be in the puddin >>>>!!!!

Kevin

Hey you guys, when you get your new spindle up and running how about posting some pictures.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Sounds good Kevin. It only takes me about an hour to file the square hole. I guess I have just the right file. I may start on my ER16M spindle today. The Maritool spindle
    ( http://www.maritool.com/p951/ER16-5/...duct_info.html) is a thing of beauty. Either the Maritool ER11 I am currently using or the ER16M will be my final answer. These Maritool spindles have what is called a backup screw which is intended to stop the bit from creeping up into the spindle under heavy load conditions (milling metal). I have found this screw is very convenient as a stop for mult-bit carves. After I test the ER16M, I will post my "conclusions" as to what I think is the best spindle.

(Maritool quoted me a price of $138 each for custom made ER spindles for the Carvewright if I bought at least 12 of them.)

Jerry we have some videos up already... heres a link... Note the small size of the spindle.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLHa5...eature=related

Default ER16M Spindle Test

I think I like the ER16M spindle because it just seems like the right size and it fits so well with my dust cap. (The M is for mini nut. The ER16A types have big ugly hex nuts.) The ER16 collets go up to 3/8" and so it is more useful for experimenting with bits. The collets are longer and I think they hold the bits more accurately. This is a cheap Chinese test case ($15 on eBay). I will now adapt my expensive Maritool ER16M.

Check out the youtube video. It is also a dust cap test. Note that the carve follows the grain (sideways board). This creates large curly chips like a planer. I thought they would plug up the small out pipe but it sucked them all up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF7rJhckOwE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.JPG   2.JPG   3.JPG  

OK gave the ER20 a run today !! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gru1tf3rvJk

Nice. It does not look as big as I thought it would. We need a close up of that mother holding a 1/2 inch shank bit!

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast