Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Make Your Own ER11 Spindle

is there something we arn't seeing--Was there a PM sent that discouraged you? I'm finding this post to be quite interesting, but just haven't had anything to add. Have we gotten the whole story just by reading what is posted above? If so, I'm not really seeing any foul on Jeff's part as there hasn't been any "moderation" that I know of. (everyone around here knows it takes more than a subliminal message to shut me up)

I'd love to continue to hear of your experience with this new chuck-- I have a Rock chuck so I probably won't be switching to anything else at any point soon, but I think there are quite a few of us that find your concept interesting. I am also curious if the bearings on the carvewright are ceramic or steel-
    Lawrence

I also read your post -- (twice) -- and found the subject innovative and interesting,
    I also have the Rock Chuck System quite and satisfied with it -- but always open to new thoughts and ideas.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

maybe there is something I dont see here but many of us are reading and interestedin what you are saying. With that I dont see any of the old censorship going on if that is true than get your pantes out of a wad and contiue you reports many want to know about things like this. I use the Rock and the Eliminator this is new to me

I agree, come on now keep this thread going, I too use the Rock and love it but it never hurts to have different ideas and to expand our options. So come on BERGERUD, PLEASE keep your idea going, it's HOT and we appriecate your posting here. And I'm waiting to hear about these bearings on the CW being ceramic or steel, for some reason I thought I'd read something a while back in another thread about them being ceramic, oil getting in from the flex shaft being over lubbed and becoming hot.

CarverJerry
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Jerry +100 man...

What are you talking about? This thread has not been 'moderated' in any way. All I did was offer some advice. I have infact put regular steel ball bearings in my machine and they did not last, so I had to replace them a few months later with the correct ceramic ones. So I am speaking from direct experience. Am I not allowed to make observations or post anything?

I am a academic; I believe in free exchange of ideas and of better inventions.
    For everyone but me I guess.

Geesh, I'll go back to my corner now...
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Hey Jeff I got to go with you this time!! I thought you were allowing the talk to go very open! Im begining to think this is a danged if you do or dont type of thing Too bad.

Anyway thought you did well now get back in your corner

I would like to here more about these ceramic bearings. When I think of ceramic , I think of tile on the wall or floor, and it doesn't seem like that would be a good thing to make bearings out of . Obvisously I'm wrong. Also I take it we're talking about the spindle bearings?
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Honestly I did not see anything negative from Jeff and thought that was imaginary in nature. Sure he could have gotten a bigger pat on the back for a job well done. The new chuck does have merrit.... The rock chuck still meets my needs in the 1/4 inch version. I am not in that big of a hurry to be beating on my bearings to remove the shaft and install another shaft.

While at Sony we had extensive Bearing Training Classes as I rebuilt Conveyor Gear Boxes on a regular basis and had the proper equipment from the ovens to presses. So I know the end result of hammering a bearing out and a new one in without the proper equipment... It is a Gamble... That makes the Rock a much better fit for me.

And getting the correct Ceramic Bearing is important to me as it is the speed and load of the spindle that will take out the steel bearings in short order... Having been reading and posting here since 2007 the first question was did you use a ceramic bearing and the answer was no.

There is a ton of stuff about Ceramic Bearings on the web... Here is a quick link to the type we use, metal and ceramic.

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/CTG...icBallBearings

Good Luck with your new chuck.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 04-10-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I guess I'll put my foot in the bucket! I also didn't see anything particularly negative about Jeff's post. I did think the comment about "cheap chinese" was a bit humorous considering the our machine is basically a "cheap Chinese" machine as I understand it. I'm all for postings that will enlarge our information pool regarding the CW and open up options for all of us.

BTW anybody know where I might find a collet that will fit in a Carvetight chuck that will hold a 0.185 shaft?
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast