Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Wood gear electromechanical clock project

Quote Originally Posted by gapdev View Post
    I've been waiting for some CNC clock plans like this for a long time. I'd love to see a Pendulum version.
    Kenny
    I am experimenting with an electrically-driven pendulum to power a clock like this (I don't like winding), but as summer is here it is not a priority.

I am experimenting with an electrically-driven pendulum to power a clock like this
    Can't wait to see it.

I'm just the opposite. Summertime is my Woodworking time since it's so damn cold and rainy in the garage during the Winter and I can't run a heater and the machinery at the same time.

I will post a pattern to carve the ring in one piece
    Looking forward to it. I don't like the glue lines is the reason I prefer a solid piece. I've got a bunch of School House clocks where the angled or round faces have separated (they generally are made up of around 8 separate pieces) and it bugs me so I've been wanting to make my own clock cases with solid front faces.

Keeping in mind that I'm a newbie with the CarveWright, is there any reason why the machine is not used to drill the holes in the gears and other pieces instead of doing this by hand?

Kenny

Whoops,

I just read your reasoning for not having the machine drill the holes.

Kenny

Here is a one-piece ring project. Please note that I have not actually carved this, so use at your own risk.

OnePieceRing.mpc

A tip from having assembled and run two clocks for an extended period now: When you assemble the second-hand shaft, place a nylon washer on the shaft of the 12-tooth pinion assembly first, then insert the shaft into the main gear assembly, then install the second hand. In other words, use a washer between the 12-tooth pinion and the 5-arm spiral gear. A washer between the second and minute hands is not necessary.

Dick,

Did you change the design of the seconds hand? Mine look nothing like the pictures. The ones in the project have a round "cap" over the had shaft section.

Also, the hand made tabs seem to be a bit on the large size.

Kenny

I did change the second hand design to be more balanced. Thanks for the feedback on the tabs. They may be a bit wide, but they are not very tall. I use a fine wood rasp to clean them up, and that works pretty well for me.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567