Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Wood gear electromechanical clock project

I completed the first clock. I'm in the process of fine-tuning the project files and writing up build instructions. Lots of pictures are needed, and I need to finish build of a second clock to get them all. I hope to have everything ready in 4-5 days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6303729.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	44028 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6303713.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	44029 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6303723.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	44027 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6303719.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	44030

2. Default

Any idea yet how accurate it is?

It's very accurate. It uses a synchronous motor. This type of motor runs at a speed that is proportional to the line frequency of 60 hertz (in the US) - for example, 360 RPM. The motor is then geared down internally to 1 RPM. The power companies actually regulate the frequency, so synchronous motors will run at rated speed.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    It's very accurate. It uses a synchronous motor. This type of motor runs at a speed that is proportional to the line frequency of 60 hertz (in the US) - for example, 360 RPM. The motor is then geared down internally to 1 RPM. The power companies actually regulate the frequency, so synchronous motors will run at rated speed.
    Great, It looks as good as it runs then!

I completed assembly of my second clock, making a few tweaks to the design along the way.

The motor that I got turned out to be too noisy. That motor was made by Bristol Motors, and as best I can tell the company quit making them and/or went out of business years ago. I knew that synchronous motors of this type are used in water softeners and ice makers, but also time clocks an chart recorders. It's difficult and costly to buy small quantities of motors direct from manufacturers, but after some phone calls I located at least two sources for motors through companies that sell parts for time clocks. I'm currently using a $25 motor by Synchron and it is whisper quiet. Motors can also occasionally be found on eBay, but I'd be a little cautious about used, surplus, or new old stock - some motors being sold are over thirty years old! I will include sources in the build and assembly instructions, and may use a link to a web site to keep this information current. The instructions are nearly complete, very detailed with lots of pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6303840.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	44359

DickB
    Have you tried Klockit ?
    Bob

This project has just been added to the store:
    http://store.carvewright.com/product...2&cat=0&page=1

For those who are unfamiliar with the store, you can click the Try button and download the project and complete instructions for free. The instructions have lots of pictures describing construction and assembly, and what parts (other than the wooden ones that you make) are needed to build a clock. That way, you can get a good idea of what is involved before you commit.

8. Default

I am glad you got it done, I am sure there will be many sales as it is one of the coolest projects I have seen.

Thanks. It's one of my favorite pieces.

10. Default

Has anyone tried to make this project yet??? I have been working on it for the past few hours and have become very frustrated. I had to order all the parts, and Im starting to think the parts list is wrong. The list calls for a 3/8 inch tube and hole to go into the 12 tooth gear, however this will not assemble properly. I just now read through this posting and have noticed the picture from the back view has a much smaller hole than 3/8. If anyone can let me know what size rod and hole they used to finish putting that gear on that would be great. I hate to get negative but its downright frustrating to buy this plan for a student, use hours of my time carving it, and now with three days of school left we cant finish his project. I would hope that the fine people at carvewright test these files before they sell them, but unless I’m nuts this is not the case.

any help would be great..... thanks

Nick

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast