Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood gear electromechanical clock project

Default Wood gear electromechanical clock project

I like the idea of using the CW to build a wood gear clock. I studied several sets of free and for-sale plans, and found a few drawbacks to these entirely mechanical pendulum clocks. One is the size - the pendulums make the clocks quite large. Another is the maintenance cycle - most must be wound every day. And, the clocks are not terribly accurate.

During my search, I came across an electromechanical clock by John Pickron. You can see it here http://www.naia-artists.org/gallery/john_pickron/ (the mantle clock - scroll down a bit) and another example here http://www.woodenworksclocks.com/PictonAndrea.htm These clocks use a 1-RPM timing motor that is almost hidden in the frame of the clock. These synchronous timing motors lock onto the 60-cycle AC power, which power companies actually regulate very closely. So, a clock using this type of motor would be very accurate, even if the wood gears are not perfect (unlike a purely mechanical clock).

I've started on my design. Thanks to JLT's Radial Vector Generator http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ctor-Generator... I have made some gear designs in Designer. Coincidentally, I got an email from Rockler notifying of a sale on 1/4" Baltic birch, with free shipping to boot, so I got my order in. I will cut some gears from this and put them together to test the concept. I already have a timing motor on order.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gear72star.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	43316

2. Default

I am looking forward to seeing this project progress. I also have wanted to build a wood gear clock for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by gregsolano View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing this project progress. I also have wanted to build a wood gear clock for some time.
    Yes - that's been on my "ta-do" list for four years. Maybe someday I'll actually design a couple! I have zero experience building wooden clocks - the learning curve to create original (working) designs has been the hold-up.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Sawmill Creek has a few Threads in the Laser Section with Wood Gears... This is GREAT.... CW... The Little Machine that "Could"...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I can't wait to see how this turns out-- I'm backed up in projects right now and my clock is about 5th in the list.

Lawrence

DickB, the electromechanical route is an excellent choice, particularly since it takes out the complexity of the down torquing power train of an all wooden clock. Like the others, am interested in seeing how it turns out!

By the way, I'm going to post some tips on the Radial Vector Generator thread on cutting out vector profiles, hopefully to reduce your scrap pile!

I really want to see this, too! I have a half-designed clock plan here, and I'd love to see how this turns out before I go any farther.

I cut a set of gears out of cheap plywood to test my design and concept. I assembled these on a scrap piece and added some hands. Watch the video.

VERY cool-- and thanks for taking the time to post a video

Lawrence

Very cool makes me want to try a few...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast