Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two sided carving

Mirroring would indeed work except when you delete the master the mirrored copy is also deleted. I guess I'll just run it through on a fixture, flipping the board L-R and telling the machine to center on length.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Aaron, yours is the only answer that makes any sense to me (a total noobie with the CW). I have a simple carve I'm doing with a piece of custom floor trim between my kitchen and living room with uneven horizontal mating surfaces to the trim. The top of the trim has a "shee-shee, foo-foo" type of pretty top that is a graduated domed effect. HOWEVER COMMA! I'm not as trusting as most and am going to try a super short sample first, as to ascertain just how the opposing side cut is situated on the board. Sure I could just "center both" the damned thing and come out fine, but for future carving, I'd like to know where an off center, two sided carve will place the second side.

Jeff Brit that is a name I have not seen in Years....

The Board Width in Designer is critical in my opinion when you flip the board over. Since the measurement is based on the Brass Roller Edge of the belt.

So what I am saying is the Physical and the Designer Board Width must be the same. Because you are going to Roll or flip the board starting on the back.

I would put your board in the machine and let it measure the width. Even to get it to measure start a project with a bogus width and it will measure it and tell you what it found...

Use that width in Designer.

A test you could do is center a 1/8 inch drill hole on each side of the board offset slightly in X or length.

That would tell you QUICKLY if the machine is going to cut in the center of the board BOTH Sides.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 03-21-2019 at 07:13 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

The easiest way to assure alignment for 2-sided carves is to select “Center” during the initial board measuring routine. This will center your project in both x and y axis for both sides, regardless whether the actual board placed in the machine is wider than your design layout.

Every project layout I create is slightly less wide than the actual board placed in the machine. This also has a side benefit of eliminating any potential scaling prompts as far as width is concerned. For example, a standard 1x12 Select Pine Board actually measures 11.24” wide. So, I layout the project on a 11”-wide board and choose to place on “Center” at the machine. No fuss, no muss!

Another important benefit/tip to achieve great two-sided alignment as well as single sided jobs...always choose “Center” unless you have some sort of special reason not too. This forces the machine to measure the length TWICE. So, why would you want to do that? Easy. This gives you a chance to head-off any board tracking issues before you run the job.

Observe the left left side of the board carefully during length measurement. If you notice any “gap” forming between the stationary plate or any binding during board feed-through, STOP! Re-adjust the moveable sliding plate, restart the project and observe again during Feed-through. A one-time measurement of board length will not always reveal any x axis issue, but the “twice Measure” always will. I can’t tell you how many times this has saved me from possible disaster. I have never broken the x gears and my two-sided carves are either spot-on or just a tiny (unnoticeable) fraction away.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-24-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I find that using your method works very well with sleds too!

Well Done MT..... I learned a few things too...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thank you, Al. I, and “zillions” of others, have learned SO MUCH from YOU! You are a treasure-trove of knowledge! We will never be able to thank you enough!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12